Herpes Community

red dry bump on corner of lip

Hello Dr. i live in the same house as my sister and her boyfreind who i recently found out have oral herpes. about a week ago my sisters boyfreind had a herpes sore on the corner of his mouth.  and while his sore was active we went swwimming at a lake with family and about 2 days later i now have a sore on the corner of my mouth aswell as a couple small bumps on the tip and side of mt tongue at first i had one on the side of my tongue then the corner of my mouth and the the tip of my tongue. the sore on the side on my tongue feel is is insignificant due to the fact it may have just bee a swollen taste bud it was small clear and stuck out about a half millimeter. and might have just been from me biting my tongue, and the ones on the tip of my tongue are very very small and even though they look similiar to herpes sore i believe them to be irrtated glands from a new mouth wash ive been using due to the fact nthat when i us the mouth wash they burn a little bit aswell as every other tissue in my mouth boy listerine is very strong. though what scares me the most is the sore on the corner of my mouth it doesnt look like other herpes otbreak pictures ive seen but im still very scared and fear that its herpes and im only 14 and a virgin. its smal red  and at the exact corner of my mouth it is very dry and has crack right across it following  my mouth corner crease. i believe th dryness is due to to the fact  that i put acidic ace ne medication on it because im prone to acne and thought it may be a pimple which i hope is for herpes at 14 would surely be to much for me to handle. the bump doesnt hurt unless i open very wide and stretch it which is just because its dry from the medication. it is just 1  bump not many small ones and is not painfull in any way its surrounding area is very dry aswell basically chapped lip and kind of flaky. at the moment its just a raw looking peic of flesh covered by cracked dry skin is this in fact herpes or just a pimple. if it helps your decision i am an extreme hypochondriach. and one more question how cn i prevent contracting herpes from my sister and her bf im having a lot of trouble coping with the anxiety of living with 2 people with herpes, the stress been affecting my eating habits. and is putting some antibiotic on the area a good i dea??
Unless you are kissing someone romantically, you aren't going to get their oral herpes.  It won't swim thru water to infect you either.

At your age, about 1/3 of your friends have oral herpes. It's incredibly common. By the time you hit your parent's age twice that many folks have it. By the time you hit the retirement village, it's closer to 80% of adults have hsv1 orally. Not many of us get thru life without it.  http://www.ashastd.org/herpes/herpes_learn_oralherpes.cfm  is a link for more reading on cold sores to check out.

You've been out in the sun and the water.  Odds are what you are worried about is just chapped lips and normal things going on on your tongue. Listerine is very drying so perhaps stop using mouthwash for a week too and see how that goes.   You also could be having something called angular chelitis on the corners of your mouth or it could just be a zit like you think it is. If it dosen't clear up in a week of using just a regular ole lip moisturizing product ( vaseline at bedtime is helpful too ), ask to go see your doctor for a better work up. It's not likely this is oral herpes going on. Don't pick at things and don't open your mouth so wide that you cause the skin to crack again too until it's healed.

grace

Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.