Herpes Community

what does titers mean

Hi,, i went in to get tested today and asked for hsv1 and 2 igg test,, and the doctor recommended i do the igm (which i know is meaningless) but i also heard him say titers,, what does that mean,, can any one educate me,, is this a valid test
also got an hiv test done,, maybe it was meant for that
bump
I have not heard of titers as a test nor seen it anywhere online.  What was he talking about while he said this?
well he didnt say much,, he examined me and said ur 7 week negative test (igg) should be good enough and that my symptoms dont suggest hsv2 and that its more of anxitey/paranoia,,,,,, but i asked the medical asst,, and she was just reading off the paper and saying hiv,herpes igg, igm titers,,, im guessing maybe its a type of measurement but just wanted to know if it was an accurate way of testing for hiv or hsv
igm tests have been posted about and are completely useless.  7 weeks from what I have found on these forums is about 70% accurate.  It is highly suggested that you test at the earliest 12 weeks for an accurate result.  

Regarding the titers I should I done some more checking before making my post (I will take foot out of mouth now.)  I was able to find a post about titers as an old test kind of like or is igm.  Below is a link to that post and a response from our resident guru (and forum moderator) grace.  Hope this helps ya.

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Herpes/titers/show/645718
Titers is the old way they used to test for herpes.  Some igm tests are still the old fashioned titer type test.  

either way, the igm test was a waste of your time.

also many older practitioners still just order titer testing for herpes out of habit even though the titer testing isn't what is being done ( we get stuck in the habit of calling certain things certain things and it's hard for us to change....lol ).  Think of it as asking someone to pass you a kleenex when it's a box of puffs sitting there ( it's a tissue but most of us get stuck with the kleenex brand name in our heads and ask for that instead of a tissue ).  

So at this point, until you get your test results back, not a lot to worry about or do to be honest.

grace
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.