Herpes Community

what is my risk?

I recently was with a guy that I think may have herpes.  I've never asked him if he does, but he basically slept with a friend of a friend of a friend, and I know that one of those people has it.  We've never had sex, but he has touched my genitals.   I have never touched his (only on top of his boxers).  What is my risk of getting it, if he did have herpes?  This is the third time we have had contact over the past 2 years.
the risk of contracting hsv2 without having actual sex is low.

have you ever been tested for herpes to know your own status?

grace
I have had 2 children, my second was born only 2 months ago.  I don't know if they screen for hsv2 in the blood panels the OB does while pregnant.  But, no I've never actually gone in and had a blood test specifically for hsv2.  I'm going to get one in a few weeks if I don't see any symptoms of herpes.  It's been 48 hours and I've noticed nothing so far.
usually herpes isn't included in the 2 pints of blood they take for testing during pregnancy unfortunately.

you need to wait 3 months after an encounter to get tested. this was such low risk though that it's not worth testing just because of this encounter.  

Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.