High Blood Pressure / Hypertension Community
844 Members

bp meds

I am presently on metoprolol 50mg twice a day for bp.,and ran out of script(am on vacation) can I take propranolol 50 mg in place of the metoprolol until I get it refilled?
Hi, it’s best you try to stick to the same medication. The bioavailability of different medications can vary from person to person.  Metoprolol is commonly available so you should be able to procure this. When there is a medication shift it is done so gradually starting from the lowest dose. While shifting the equivalent of metoprolol 50mgs is proponolol 40mgs. Please discuss this with your doctor. Best Regards.