Holistic Care For Pets Community
184 Members

Diabetic dogs brother sister 6 months apart

I have 2 diabetic dogs, 12 yr old Min Pins (not typical tiny Pins, when young their weight was 18/19 lbs female and 20/21 male). My female, Teaka, was diagnosed in March 2012. She was 29 lbs and is now 22.5  lbs.  My male, Tyson, just diagnosed on Aug 9/12 was 27.5 lbs and is now 24.5 lbs. I have been feeding them 1/3 cup boiled chicken or beef (shredded) & once a week low sodium tuna plus 2/3 cup steamed broccoli and cauliflower (pureed with water added) at 8am and 8pm. Depending on their blood glucose, I check with a glucometer, they also get 1/3 cup Royal Canin Med Aging dry kibble. The insulin we use is Levimir, each dog gets 1 unit at meal time.  The cost of the food is getting expensive.  Is there other vegetables I can add to the diet and what proteins can I feed them?
Dear Teaka,

Making a homemade diet for your 2 diabetic canines is quite easy and most pet owners also find it to be very cost effective.

The amount of food they eat daily will remain the same.

To prepare your dogs meal: make 1/3 of the diet lean protein like chicken, turkey, beef, fish or eggs,  the second third is long acting carbohydrates such as rice, potatoes, pasta or oatmeal and the final 1/3 is fresh vegetables including broccoli, green beans, peas and carrots.

You can cook the ingredients any way you prefer, mix them together, then add 1/2 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil which enhances the smell and taste and provides a great source of essential omega-3 fatty acids, then finally season up the meal so it smells good.

The top 3 flavors most dogs like are barbecue sauce, pasta sauce and low sodium Tamari Sauce.

Balance out the meals with a reputable antioxidant-vitamin-mineral supplement.

We have had great luck with our canine diabetic patients using this protocol.

Thank you,
Dr. Carol Osborne, DVM
Members of our Pet Communities share their Halloween pet photos.
Has your pet ever swallowed your prescription medicine? Vet tech Thomas Dock explores the top 10 meds that harm pets and what you can do to prevent a tragedy from happening.
Like to travel but hate to leave your pooch at home? Dr. Carol Osborne talks tips on how (and where!) to take a trip with your pampered pet