Aa
A
A
A
Close
Hospice Community
66 Members

Cancer hospice help

My mother is in the care of hospice. She has not had any food for over a week, and no drink (other than maybe 2-3 syringes of liquid) in about 3-5 days. Today she developed the "death rattle." The nurses have been telling us "2-3 days" for over a week now. She is running fever, her BP is low, (80/45). How long can she go on like this? She is young (45), and has battled cancer for 6 years. I don't want to lose my mom, but I hate watching her suffer.
1 Responses
547368 tn?1440545385
Oh Sweet Katie,

My heart breaks for you. I hear the pain in your words.

That old "death rattle" can come and go in the final days of life - but given all you have said I doubt your mom has days left on this earth. No one can predict the exact time - maybe today.

My, she is so young. Death doesn't care how old we are - or how rich we are - or even who we are. Cancer can be an ugly disease.

I lost my mom just a year ago this month. I know the pain. Your mom is blessed to have you at her side. I do believe knows you are there. Hearing is the very last sense we loss.

Hang in sweetie. I hope you have some good support. We' re here if you need us.

Gentle (((HUGS)))
~Tuck
Have an Answer?
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.