My sister and I are in the process of deciding the best course of action in my mothers disease. She is stage IV metastatic breast cancer and today we received confirmation of leptomeningeal metastasis, and the prognosis is not very good, weeks or months to go. She has decided not to receive any more treatment and even though she has been very confused due to her metastasis (fluid to the brain) we respect the idea of giving her the best quality life she has left.
Now, she is very weak and needs care 24/7, we have been offered in patient hospice service to try and stabilize her and make her more comfortable, takings then step by step decisions depending on the progress of her illness. We are in a crossroad and really do not know what to do, we want to care for her but don't have the preparation to safely care in our condition, only my sister and I to care for her and I don't even live in the United States.
I would like to take her with me to my country of origin but doctors don't recommend (at least now) to travel. We are thinking on the possibility of getting her stabilized and then make other decisions. We want good care and quality of whatever she has left. We are in the hospital now which is more than ready to discharge...but what to do? If we take her home we don't want her to fall, get hurt or not have all the attention she needs and deserves.
Help? Any advice?