Aa
A
A
A
Close
Hospice Community
66 Members

Making a decision, but urgently...

My sister and I are in the process of deciding the best course of action in my mothers disease. She is stage IV metastatic breast cancer and today we received confirmation of leptomeningeal metastasis, and the prognosis is not very good, weeks or months to go. She has decided not to receive any more treatment and even though she has been very confused due to her metastasis (fluid to the brain) we respect the idea of giving her the best quality life she has left.
Now, she is very weak and needs care 24/7, we have been offered in patient hospice service to try and stabilize her and make her more comfortable, takings then  step by step decisions depending on the progress of her illness.  We are in  a crossroad and really do not know what to do, we want to care for her but don't have the preparation to safely care in our condition, only my sister and I to care for her and I don't even live in the United States.
I would like to take her with me to my country of origin but doctors don't recommend (at least now) to travel.  We are thinking on the possibility of getting her stabilized and then make other decisions.  We want good care and quality of whatever she has left.  We are in the hospital now which is more than ready to discharge...but what to do? If we take her home we don't want her to fall, get hurt or not have all the attention she needs and deserves.
Help? Any advice?
1 Responses
547368 tn?1440545385
I am so sorry I am so tardy to your post. Although I have been a member of MedHelp since 2008 I just found this community. Hospice is not a dirty word.

I'm certain you've had to make that decision by now. Whatever it was be assured it was the right one. My heart goes out to you.

End of life decisions are always difficult. My heart goes out to you. I've been in your situation. I hope you'll share with us how y'all are doing and the factors involved in your decision.

I'll check in often.

Warm Regards,
~Tuck  
Have an Answer?
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.