Huesos, Articulaciones & Músculos Community
52 Members

What was the treatment for your Achilles tendon rupture?

The objective of treatment is to restore normal length and tension to the tendon and allow you to do what you could do before the injury. Treatment reflects a balance between protection and early motion.Protection is necessary to allow time for healing and to prevent reinjury.Moving your foot and ankle is needed to prevent stiffness and loss of muscle tone.Treatment options are surgical or nonsurgical. The choice is controversial.Both surgical and nonsurgical treatment will require an initial period of about six weeks of casting or special braces. The cast may be changed at two- to four-week intervals to slowly stretch the tendon back to its normal length. Casting may be combined with early movement (one to three weeks) to improve overall strength and flexibility.A heel lift device and, regardless of the choice of treatment, regular physical therapy follow for the remainder of treatment.Consultation with an orthopedic surgeon will determine the treatment and follow-up that is right for you.
I suffered an Achilles tendon rupture while playing handball at age 32 when I was a podiatry student.  My injury was treated with a long leg cast and brace.   I got an excellent result, but I have not played handball since.   I jogged 5-7 days per week until about age 55.  Arthritis of both feet made me stop running finally.
I ruptured my Achilles tendon four days ago in a basketball game. I am a 37-year-old PE teacher and an avid runner.  Treatment was surgery.  I am in a cast and will eventually move to a walking boot and eventually on to my own foot.  My doctor said I will be able to start running again in 3 months, starting slowly of course.  This will be hard, but I will follow all directives for proper healing.
Icing three times a day, eight weeks of rest, and  using a topical analgesic. Two weeks in, am in a black immobilizing boot.
At the age of 52, I tore my Achilles tendon with my normal extensive workout schedule and needed surgery!  A year later after surgery I'm still recovering back to my normal activities.  What a long road to recovery!!!
I'm an active 45 year old female who has run 6 marathons the last 10 years. I ruptured my achilles while playing tennis at the end of January and had surgery. I had full range of motion back within 3 months, but am still working on building back my calf strength. It's now July and I hope to get clearance to start running and playing tennis by month end. The rehab has been tough. Gaining back my calf muscle has been slow going and even now it's still significantly smaller.
I'm a 30 year old male and I ruptured my Achilles tendon 4 months ago playing a hurling match. I was also playing a lot of squash leading up to my injury. I think myself the mixture of both the field sport and court sport resulted in my injury. I had surgery within 3 days of the rupture and thankfully no cast was put in place just bandage. It's a long slow recovery but went for my first jog this evening. My advice to anyone who has had this injury is to insist on surgery rather than a cast and take your time recovering.
I am a 38 year old male, who after not playing rugby for 8 years, had my arm twisted to play. I train regularly in a gym, three to four times a week. I turned up to the first training session and joined in a game of touch rugby, and within 10 minutes I had ruptured my Achilles tendon! I am now in a cast and looking at 8-12 week recovery plan. My advice would be simple, as you get older, allow more time to stretch and warm up. 15-20 minutes stretching and warm up could have saved me 12 weeks recovery time!
I am a 34 year old female.  I tore my Achilles tendon playing kickball with family. I had surgery within a week, cast for 8 weeks. Now that I'm out of the cast, I'm dealing with constant swelling. It's getting better every day. It's definitely a long healing process.
I had surgery  in 2005 now I feel the same pain, can't hardly walk without pain.
I partially ruptured my Achilles tendon a week ago, falling backwards down some steps in Venice. Intense pain and shock convinced my wife to call for an ambulance. Ultrasound scan and diagnosis by orthopaedic specialist led to a decision to go the non-surgical route. So far I am spending time in bed interspersed with regular walks in the apartment on crutches, with the leg encased in a rigid splint.
is it posiple to do surgry with midical perspective
I ruptured my Achilles while at work, I am a firefighter and I work out in the gym regularly.  My orthopedist wants to keep me immobilized rather than surgery.
I'm a 49-year-old male. I had full rupture Achilles tendon. I had a surgery 10 days after getting injured. I had my foot in casting for 9 weeks. Now, I took off cast and walk regularly.
I ruptured my achilles playing basketball. I had surgery three days later. Two weeks after that, I received a walking boot. It was nice to be able to shower and move my foot. I'm about five weeks out of surgery and not using crutches.
I had a full rupture of the Achilles while skiing, and surgery four days later. It has been eight weeks to date since injury. Three weeks casted.
I am a 57-year-old male. I ruptured my Achilles just getting into my car after watching an MLB game. It was the most painful thing I have experienced.  I am debating whether to have surgery or to take the long casting route.
I ruptured my Achilles tendon eight weeks ago and have been in half-leg plaster.
isnapped my achillies four years ago and split my calf muscle to. i was offered surgery but opt out. had a full cast on for 4 months then in a moon boot for 3 months. didnt respond to physio which lasted over a year. now 4 yrs on i have no calf musle and am in constant pain every day my ballance isnt very gud and carnt walk far at all. shud i have had operation. i feel it asnt worked for me.
I ruptured my Achilles tendon 3 weeks ago playing basketball. I have played most of my life until about 2 years ago. I exercise regularly with weightlifting and cardio in the gym.  This was the first time I played hoops in 2 years. I simply tried to make a quick cut and the pain was immediate. I looked behind me to see if someone on the sideline threw something at me for some reason. Then I realized I had just ruptured my achilles. I had surgery 3 days later, the pain that night of surgery was intense. I was then casted for 2 weeks.  Now I am in a boot but still not weight bearing. I go back to the ortho in 2 weeks to get an update and hopefully schedule rehab. I am a 36 years old male.
I am a 62-year-old man. I'm still very active. I've trained for most of my life. I still work out four times per week and play golf twice per week. Two weeks ago, I completely tore my Achilles tendon when I was jumping rope with my grandkids. I had surgery two days after the tear. I wore a bandage for a week, and for the past week, I've been wearing a boot. I see a specialist in five more weeks.
I am 56 years old. I ruptured my Achilles tendon while playing tennis. I went the non-surgical route and I chose aggressive mobility. I was in a "walking cast." I play golf three days after my tear, I walked normally, and I even helped a buddy move!
72yo fairly active playing tennis 2mo ago.surg walking boot starting rehab nxt wk .tear lft a tendon 1 yr ago  at calcaneus insertion.lat side playing pickle ball. 40 yrsago ruptured my gastrocnemius playing tennis all well warmed up. Have hadchronic tendinosis for 50 plus yrs. I stretch before all activities.  Any suggestions. I've been taking hi doses of vit c,chondroitin glucosamine cal,multiple Vito's too
I ruptured my Achilles tendon 13 days ago in an over 50 age basketball league game. I am a 55-year-old teacher and used to be an avid runner. I have been playing for the past three years. I varied my warm up routine and believe that was the cause of my injury.  Treatment was surgery five days after injury. I am in a splint now and will be re-evaluated in three days. My doctor said I will be able to start running again in three months, starting slowly of course.
I suffered a complete Achilles rupture and had surgery after 3 days. I've been in cast for 7 weeks and one more surgery to go with no weight bearing until last 2 weeks. I'm 59 and I want to play tennis, but I was told not to participate in any contact sports for at least a year.
2
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
How to bounce back fast from an ankle sprain - and stay pain free.
Patellofemoral pain and what to do about it.
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.