Aa
A
A
A
Close
Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Community
7.04k Members

Aldara

I have been diagnosed with HPV for the past 4 months, and it has been a serious struggle. I have gone to get the warts burned off about 5-6 times, and they keep coming back. My doctor put me on Aldara, but I am having SERIOUS side effects.  It says for me to put it on the area once a night before I go to bed, but I started having redness and irritation. I thought that just meant that it was working, so I was off it for a day and went back on it for 2. It happened again, so I went off it for 2 days. Then I went back on it and tried to stay on it, hoping that the cream would help somehow, and the sores just kept getting bigger. I had serious flu-like symptoms, with fever, chills, migranes, muscle pains, the works. Now that I am off aldara, I have less of the flu like symptoms, but I have quarter sized lesions on my vagina. They hurt to the point where I cannot walk, or sit or lay down or do ANYTHING without it hurting. It hurts even more when I try to use the bathroom. What can I do? Has this happened to anyone else? Will the sores start healing on their own? I am just 20, and I swear this is the hardest thing I've ever done in my entire life and I feel like I am so alone on this. None of the treatments are working and I feel so defeated.
1 Responses
1067212 tn?1353964002
GW are a really annoying virus. There is so much confusion surrounding it, and as no one speaks out about it people often feel alone and embaressed. I used the same cream and had some bad side effects too. Make sure you use the cream 3 times a week with space inbetween like: Monday, wednesday then friday. Also you should only use the cream in small quantitys as it is also used for skin cancer therefore it is very strong. The skin in the genital area is also very tender. I used the cream for 1 week, so thats 3 applications before I had to take a break from it. I was so sore down below - burning, itching, stinging. Some days I couldn't walk either. I realised I had probably used too much cream and I should of stopped as soon as I started feeling pain. This may be the same for you.

Because I stopped so quickly, luckily I didn't experience the unpleasant sores that you did. Every one reacts differently to the medication, some people have no side effects while others have them all. The cream was just not suitbale for you, or you used too much too often.

Don't worry because after 1 week the side effects went. I began using the cream again and I only used 2 applications before I noticed my warts were gone. I don't know if this will be the same with you because it sounds as if you have a stubborn case if they have come back so often. Give it a couple of weeks and the side effects should of gone, if they haven't you should go to the doctors, you may have been allergic to something in the cream.

GW are a hard thing to deal with because of the stigma attached. I found it hurt me more emotionally than physically. And whilst the visable signs were there I was in constant reminder of something I wanted to forget. You are not alone, GW is the most common STD, there is just so little known about them. You probably even know somebody with them. It helps to talk to someone, as you are holding onto a burden. I know when I told someone it felt like a weight off my shoulders.

If you still have warts you may have to go back and get another treatment until you find one that works for you or you may have to try a couple of treatments at the same time. You will have to discuss it with your doctor. Its totally understandable that you feel defeated but have hope that you will get rid of this because it is very like that it will go.

In the mean time take vitamin supplements and start being even more healthy, stop smoking and cut down drinking. Your immune system plays an important role in defeating this virus. Talk to someone understanding too if you can. You are not alone and put things in perspective - you are lucky not to have a life threatening illness - thats what helped me.
Top STDs Answerers
3149845 tn?1506631371
fort lauderdale, FL
Learn About Top Answerers
Popular Resources
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Can HIV be transmitted through this sexual activity? Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia answers this commonly-asked question.
A breakthrough study discovers how to reduce risk of HIV transmission by 95 percent.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.