Aa
A
A
A
Close
Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Community
7.04k Members

CONCERNED ABOUT ANOGENITAL WARTS. . .

I posted a question yesterday asking if the small, white bumps inside my anal area were genital warts or not. My questions today are, assuming they are genital warts: how can I get rid of them? . . .is it something I should be extremely worried about? . . .will they grow in size? . . . .are they contagious? . . .are they cancerous? . . .and if/ when I do get rid of them, is it a possibility they'll come again?

I hope someone can answer my questions,

Thanks in advance!
1 Responses
how can I get rid of them?
Your doctor will either recommend treatment or suggest that you wait to see if your immune system will take care of the infection. Treatment options include, liquid nitrogen, surgery, or different medications that can be applied at home or at the office.

. . .is it something I should be extremely worried about?
No, they are common and don't pose any real health risk

. . .will they grow in size?
Possibly. They may increase in size or number or might dissapear. It depends on your immune system's response.

. . . .are they contagious?
very. especially when warts are present.

. . .are they cancerous?
HPV strains that cause genital warts are not the same as the ones that are associated with cancer.

. . .and if/ when I do get rid of them, is it a possibility they'll come again?
They will often come back after treatment, but in time, your immune system will clear the virus. Most people clear the virus within a year and over 90% clear it within 2 years.
Top STDs Answerers
3149845 tn?1506627771
fort lauderdale, FL
Learn About Top Answerers
Popular Resources
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Can HIV be transmitted through this sexual activity? Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia answers this commonly-asked question.
A breakthrough study discovers how to reduce risk of HIV transmission by 95 percent.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.