Aa
A
A
A
Close
Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Community
7.05k Members

Confused about pap/colpo/biopsy results.

Pap on 10/2 showed LGSIL, negative for high risk HPV.

Colpo done on 11/20 with biopsies taken from 6:00 and 11:00 and ECC. I got the lab results back today and I'm confused.

The lab report states, "A. Benign squamous mucosa, negative for dysplasia and malignancy". B. Endocervix currettage: Benign endocervical fragments, negative for dysplasia and malignancy. Comments: The case was reviewed in conjunction with previous pap smear whose diagnosis of LSIL is confirmed. The findings in the current biopsy do not correlate with the pap smear findings; however, both are correct.

I'm confused. So do I have dysplasia/LGSIL? Can you have LGSIL and have a normal biopsy?
1 Responses
An abnormal PAP does not mean you have dysplasia.  It often results in a finding of dysplasia but there are some cell abnormalities that are completely benign, do not lead to dysplasia, do not lead to cancer, and are picked up on PAP as abnormal.  Only a colposcopy will tell you what you really have.  It sounds to me like you got very good news.  However the statement that the findings don't correlate but both are correct fails to tell you WHY the lab expressed that opinion.  Maybe they believe that your LGSIL regressed to normal. Interpretting these lab results for you is your doctor's job.  You should talk with him.  The most important thing to take from this though is that you got very good news on the colposcopy and it IS entirely possible that you had a dysplasia which regressed to normal.  
Top STDs Answerers
3149845 tn?1506627771
fort lauderdale, FL
Learn About Top Answerers
Popular Resources
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Can HIV be transmitted through this sexual activity? Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia answers this commonly-asked question.
A breakthrough study discovers how to reduce risk of HIV transmission by 95 percent.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.