Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Community

Just diagnosed with vaginal warts

Hi all. I am a 32 yr old female and was diagnosed with vaginal warts two weeks ago. I have only slept with two people in my life so I know who gave it to me. I am sad and depressed because my ob made me feel like a **** and didn't really say anything except that I shouldn't have slept around and that I shouldn't have sex ever again. She subscribed aldara .5% cream and in have been using this med for a week now. I have severe itching and more warts have showed up on my labia and around the lips of my vagina. I don't know how long it takes for this cream to work. I just want the warts gone. My question is will they go away and how long does it take for this med to work? Does HPV last forever?? I am sad because I want to get married and have children. I am so sad that this happened to me. I don't know who to talk to. Please help. Any info would be appreciated. Thank u.
there is absolutely no difference between a wart on your  hand/feet and a wart on your genitals. it's all a cosmetic issue, not a health issue. any provider who made you feel bad about having a wart, should be reported to the clinic manager. they are incredibly common and it should've been a teachable moment, not a moment to make someone feel like they are not able to ever have sex again!!

if more warts are showing up, I recommend seeing a different gyn and having them removed. who has 3 months to wait for aldara to work, if it's going to work at all?

how long have you been with your current partner?

also if you are planning to start a family soon, have you and your partner had herpes igg blood testing too to know who has what?

grace
Yeah your doctor is a jerk. No sex again? WTF. If you are planning on staying with your current partner, its simpler since he has it too. Don't despair, this is a cosmetic issue that 80% of all sexually active adults have.

Does it last forever? 90% of the people make it dormant in their system. No doctor will ever tell you that it may not ever come back but most will tell you that after 6-24 months of no warts, you are not infectious. But it may come back someday years/decades from now. You should be able to have kids with no problems.