Aa
A
A
A
Close
Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Community
7.04k Members

What kind of risk is there for my new girlfriend if my ex had cervical problems?

I have a new girlfriend that I want to keep safe.  I have been tested for almost every STD I can be tested for, but there is something still on my mind.  While I was with my ex girlfriend (from a bit over 2 years ago) she had an abnormal pap smear and a cone biopsy. She told me she had abnormal or precancerous cells removed from her cervix while she was still a virgin, probably around the time she was 15, which I don't know if I should believe or not since I see so many contradicting things on whether or not such things could occur without HPV.  My new girlfriend has an autoimmune disease and her body isn't as able to fight off infections as most people.  From the time that I would have been exposed to my ex's HPV, if she had it, to now is a little over 3 years.  How much of a risk is sex with my new girlfriend to her and how do I go about telling her about my concerns?
1 Responses
The risk will always be present. Virgins getting HPV is rare but not impossible.  No one can tell you the odds  of transmitting it. Just tell her the truth and go the CDC site for facts.
http://www.cdc.gov/std/hpv/stdfact-hpv.htm
Top STDs Answerers
3149845 tn?1506631371
fort lauderdale, FL
Learn About Top Answerers
Popular Resources
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Can HIV be transmitted through this sexual activity? Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia answers this commonly-asked question.
A breakthrough study discovers how to reduce risk of HIV transmission by 95 percent.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.