Aa
A
A
A
Close
Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Community
7.04k Members

What type of HPV is it

I thought I had a small abrasion on my penis after sex with a tight fitting condom which irritated my skin. However after a few months this roundish red spot had not gone away.

I thought it might be some type of scar, but when I had my Dr. take a look he told me that it was HPV and prescribed aldara.  I have not yet started the Aldara because I have read a lot of scary reports about sideeffects and other problems and as this is a family Dr. who treats mostly children I am going to get a second opinion.

However he did not state what strain of HPV this could be from. From reading, most visible warts do not come from the high risk strains 16 and 18, but then I've read that 16 can present some visible symptoms. Is there a possibility that this is a high risk strain and that I my partner may be at risk for cervical cancer?
1 Responses
541093 tn?1224674496
Currently, there are no FDA approved hpv diagnostic tests available for male... HPV is an infection caused by a virus with over 100 different variations or subtypes.. A virus is an organism which must enter a living cell and “hijack” the cell’s machinery in order to make more virus... 30 out of the 100 HPV subtypes are sexually transmitted by direct genital contact during vaginal or anal intercourse... “Low risk” subtypes of sexually transmitted HPV (such as HPV-6, HPV-11) cause 90% of genital warts...

HPV infection is currently the most prevalent sexually transmitted disease; likely as
common in men as in women... Sexually transmitted HPV infection usually has no signs or symptoms... 70% of those with sexually transmitted HPV infection will clear the virus from the body through the immune system spontaneously after 18 months and 90% after two years.. The younger the person with sexually transmitted HPV infection the shorter the time the body takes to clear the virus and the higher the likelihood of complete clearance.. HPV DNA testing is available but reliable only for identifying CURRENT INFECTION not past HPV exposure...
Top STDs Answerers
3149845 tn?1506631371
fort lauderdale, FL
Learn About Top Answerers
Popular Resources
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Can HIV be transmitted through this sexual activity? Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia answers this commonly-asked question.
A breakthrough study discovers how to reduce risk of HIV transmission by 95 percent.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.