Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Community

hpv and oralcaner

This information makes me real nervous, I practice often oral sex on
women, I will now get cancer?

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/ReproductiveHealth/hpv-oral-cancers-rise-oral-sex-popular-spread/story?id=11916068&page=2
I went to an ENT after finding out I have HPV and I have also had plenty of oral sex. He said not to worry, so had the specialist on MedHelp I asked, my GYN, my general pracitice doc...and so on. I understand the fear, I have it but I am getting over it. Basically oral risks are VERY rare. Often people who do have it are babies born to moms with HPV present, long time smokers and/or drinkers. Sure there are exceptions but that number is so low that you need not put worry into it. While I am  having symptoms, warts/cell changes present I will not have or give oral sex. Once I know I am past these stages then I plan to enjoy oral sex again.
I find so many different types of information, some say that there is sufficient
with an HPV infection in the throat, the virus itself is driving a cancer, other
writes that it definitely needed more to trigger the virus, ex.
smoking, alcohol, etc.. That it is mostly men who account for the increase does  to believe the first o all, the gay, but a study showed that there were 92% men married to women.
You have to realize there are motives behind a lot of these studies, some to induce fears, some to sell a product, and some are trying to educate. What I am going to go by is this, if I have asked docs who specialize in this very topic and they assure me first that it is not that big a risk, infact that it is very rare and second that even if I did have oral issues it is treatable (its babies born to moms with HPV that have the worst issues and older people who have a history of smoking and drinking) then all I can do is take care of me. Try to be healthy and not add stress over something I don't currently have and may never have. That doesn't mean don't protect yourself in the future and just have yearly exams. Dentists are trained to not only look at your teeth but to keep an eye on oral heath in general. In the world of STD's, having HPV is not so bad!
I have a thought why is not pssible to test HPV from  mouths, or from
penis? can be certain only that if there is an HPV type that gives warts, it is
HPV16, which do not give warts but it dangerous when you can just try it
from a woman's sex, but not from one's mouth or from the penis, it should well serve
in the same way? especially in the mouth that is also a mucosal
Well I developed mucoceles in my lower gum at the same time as I have my HPV symptoms. I am told they are not related and have found no info to link them but still I think there is a link, even if it is that both might come about via low immune system issues and stress.

There is a lot unknown about HPV and so in the future there will be discoveries as well as advancements in treatment and testing.

I think the reason there is not a lot of options for men is because typically men are not effected with symptoms, it's us women who get abnormal paps. Either way, cell changes and warts are simply a skin condition and with time and treatment if needed can be passed from someones system without ever becoming a serious health risk. Even if it does become cancer there are lots of options. The main fact is that we have to keep yearly checks on our bodies to prevent anything getting to that point. It is the same with all other cancer risks and health issues. You have to stop overthinking HPV, as I have been told many times. :)
Great responses M, spot on!
Thanks B! ;)
why are there three times as many men, to get tonsil cancer than women? may
be more gay and due to a weakened immune system due to HIV?
sorry for bad english
when you read this you become a little calmer and understand that HPV only really
is a small risk factor, and probably requires additional factor to be
Cancer

http://www.cancer.net/patient/Cancer+Types/Oral+and+Oropharyngeal+Cancer?sectionTitle=Risk%20Factors%20and%20Prevention
Right, gay men are at higher risk for oral STD's, just as women are at risk. The person giving usually has a higher chance of getting something and once you do have something like HIV then you will have more health issues.
6000-10000 cases of tonsil cancer in the U.S. that are HPV-related, do not this sound
pretty much given that the doctors say it is rare with HPV in
mouth? many people get HPV related oral cancer may therefore get it, if there are unusual
with HPV in the mouth, you understand how I think?
How do you know that so many people carry HPV in some form? it is of course no
screening tests on the population and many times will it  even not be tested

Of 6000-10000 where HVP released for tonsilcancer how many of these
people think you have a weakened immune system, perhaps HIV.
You have some good questions. Notably, how do we know most people gave the invisible high risk type at some point in their lives? You get This info from the doctors on this Med Help site, as well as ASHASTD, the CDC sites, and so forth. The thing that calms my nerves is that oral sex is probably as common as intercourse. And I assume so based on every porn site showing/glorifying oral, along with intercourse. People tend to copy..  I conservatively guess 1,000,000 new partners per year perform oral. Let's assume 20,000 tonsil cases per year result from this. At the end of 30 years that is 600,000! Shocking, until you remember to add the total amount of new oral sex partnerings per year over 30 years. 30,000,000.

Oral sex is low risk. But it is smart to be long term monogamous.
20 000 per 1 million? there was a lot I guess you just took a
illustrative example.
I think  wrong, the risk of getting cancer is of course no more to be
infected and it is among these a high proportion who get cancer. One can
does not count, the risk decreases as you also in that it is harder to get infected.
you who live in the usa what are your thoughts are not  many  
tonsil cancer and HPV is actually also a smoker, Drinkers and HIV
infected?
Have also read that the rate of finding HVP in the mouth increases with dysplasin, 10% in
healthy mought, 20% of light dysplasia, and so on, which suggests that the
perhaps had no idea always is the virus which runs but the infection is increasing all
because the mucosal changes
illustrative example.
infected?
because the mucosal changes
sorry for 2 post.

Why is oralcancer 300 % more among men than women ?? if HPV is a riskfactor I think more women than men practice oralsex on there boys
In sweden 70 % of people whit HIV are male, perhaps this is the reason
Yes HIV is a big factor with those results
There was a post someone made to the doctors here. He said he saw a study that correlates oral herpes with higher chance of getting precancerous lesions from HPV. I did a bit of searching a week ago on the web and found nothing about herpes, but it did associate HIV and oral lesions from HPV. It is a Canadian study. But certainly it is best to quit smoking if you anticipate oral sex. Also cut way down on drinking alcoholic drinks. Dr. Handsfield thinks my four drinks per week are way too cautious. Okay, I upped them to seven!
thanks Mags370, please read my other questions , please give and answer if you can
HAHA! Well I am not drinking til my cells are normal and my warts are gone. I so hope that doesn't take me more than 6 months!!! I might break down and have some red wine if it does. The ENT also thought some wine would not only not harm me but be a benefit to my mental health. LOL Happily I don't smoke now, quit almost 20 years ago and the doc didn't feel that history would play any factor in my recovering from HPV.

Malin I didn't respond to the other questions because I don't know enough to answer them. As I worried about oral issues and researched to ease my own mind I found this. Not one of the 5 docs I had examine me or discussed this issue with found any reason for me to be concerned. The info that is scary on the internet is biased and the real info supports that I am not at high risk. If I do develope issues orally then I will just have to deal with that but to spend more time stressing over it will only hinder my bodies recovery from the HPV symptoms I do have. I suggest you simply try to let some of this go. I am all about education myself and keeping up on what is going on with my body. Focus on what health issues you do have and how to live a healthy life. Use protection with sex unless you are in a long term committed relationship with trust. Mostly don't all this take away from the enjoyment of life and sex is a big part of that joy!
My question was
"though there is anything wrong, in Sweden say that 80% of all
women have ever become infected with HPV, 450 get cancer.
More than half get oral cancer in Sweden 250, given how difficult it is said
it is to get HPV in your throat, this would mean that almost everyone who gets HPV in
neck cancer may also"

I've been thinking about the answer and come to the following, it is safe to
that there is very little risk of HPV sits in the mouth, in situations where individual
really gets virus there  this is done in people with impaired
immune system for various reasons, maybe HIV or in those who smoke and
drink a lot and may have already changes in the mouth or bad
dental status, such people may succeed virus to take hold in the mouth and it is
Thus, the same people who then have a higher risk of cancer.
In otherwise healthy people is probably the virus hard to turn in your mouth
who have strong immune
That is correct :)