Hypertension Community
879 Members

Zyrtec D and high BP

Recently i have been diagonised with hypertension. My BP varies in range of 130-140 and 80-90. I am not on medicine yet to lower BP. Trying to control by physical activities and diet plan.
I have been on Zyrtec D (syrup)  daily dosage of 2.5-5 ml for past 6 years.
Can prolonged use of this medicine cause hypertension?
Your advice will be helpful.

Regards
Santy
Zyrtec D may elevate blood pressure due to pseudoephedrine, which is a decongestant and one of the active ingredients in Zyrtec D. Maybe mention your hypertension to your doctor next time you have to collect a prescription for Zyrtec D. Regular Zyrtec doesn't contain pseudoephedrine, only cetirizine which is an antihistamine and helps symptoms of hayfever, and so is safe to use in people with hypertension.