Hysterectomy Community

Can l voluntarily get a hystorectomy?

Hello, I am 19 and want a partial hystorectomy. I would like my uterus gone, but my cervix and ovaries kept in tact. I am overweight, but other wise healthy. I know the risk and aftermath of having a hystorectomy. Please do not assume that, because l am young, l dont know any better, or I'll change my mind when l meet the right man, or that l am doing this to be promiscuous. I could get my tubes tied, however that doesn't always work, and l want absolutely no chance of having a child by mistake. I also would no longer need a period, however I don't want to run into menopause just yet in my life and do not want my sex drive to drastically reduce. So a partial hystorectomy seems like the right option for my life.

My question is: Can I have this procedure, Where and when can l have this procedure done, how much will it cost, and is it possible to donate my uterus?
Since most hysterectomies are unnecessary, you could probably find gynecologists that will grant your wish.

I had a hysterectomy 11 years ago at age 49 and would not recommend it to anyone unless it's absolutely necessary such as for confirmed cancer. Not only can it permanently impair ovarian function, it destroys pelvic integrity. It displaces the bladder and bowel which can cause problems in the short and long-term. And it destroys skeletal integrity (spine, hips, rib cage) since they have to sever the pelvis' support structures (ligaments). This is why many hysterectomized women end up with back and hip problems in the long-term. And you'll notice changes to your figure by about 2 years post-op as your spine gradually compresses and your hips widen giving you the big belly and no waist or curve in your lower back.

Many women complain of sexual dysfunction, including loss of desire, even when they kept their ovaries. If you have uterine orgasms, you will no longer have them. In my experience, that has been a HUGE loss!

Most studies have focused on the loss of ovaries which is proven to cause accelerated aging and risk for 18 chronic conditions - http://wtvr.com/2016/09/29/study-remove-ovaries-age-faster/. However, a number of studies have shown that even when ovaries aren't removed, their function is impaired causing some or all of the same problems. Specifically, heart disease and dementia have been shown to be more prevalent in women who had hysterectomies but retained their ovaries than in intact women. You can find these studies in pubmed and other publications if you so desire.

It is unethical to do surgeries that cause more harm than good which is the case for all unnecessary hysterectomies as well as oophorectomies (ovary removals). And it is  unethical to do hysterectomies for the purpose of birth control. I believe it is prohibited in some hospitals and maybe even some states. There are plenty of other birth control options (medication being less risky than procedures). You're right that some tubal ligations fail resulting in pregnancy but the percentage is low. However, if that's a concern, you could have your tubes removed. But be aware that removal of ANY part of the "reproductive" system can cause permanent impaired ovarian function and even their complete failure (as if the ovaries were removed).

The fact that tubal ligation or removal oftentimes changes the menstrual cycle and decreases the risk of ovarian cancer is evidence that these procedures impair ovarian function. An intact woman's ovaries produce hormones her whole life for optimal health. And gynecologic cancers are rare (endometrial 2.8%, ovarian 1.3%, cervical 0.6%) so without a proven genetic risk, organ removal does more harm than good.

I hope this has given you a more balanced view.