Hysterectomy Community

Gall bladder problems after LAVH

I'm wondering how many of you have had gall bladder problems/surgery after having your hysterectomy.

I had my LAVH 3 weeks ago.  2 days after my surgery I started having pain in my back, in the muscles in between my rib cage. It's progressed to radiating around my abdomen.  The pain is so ungodly that I went to the er last night.

A ct scan showed sludge and/or stones in my gall bladder. My primary doc has me scheduled for an ultrasound on Friday to confirm this.  She said more than likely I will have to have it removed.

Are you freaking kidding me?! I just had a hysterectomy, now I need another surgery for something else?!  **sighs** Anyway, prior to my hysterectomy I didn't have these problems. Nor is there a family history of it.

So, again, I ask if there's anyone out there that might have had a similar problem?  Thanks for any responses.

Laura
COMMUNITY LEADER
I know with my gall bladder problems they came on suddenly. Some people can have problems for years and know they're having gall bladder problems but other people can have on attack, like I did, and end up having to have surgery. So, this may have been going on for awhile with you and you just did'nt have any symptoms. I did have a complete hysterectomy 26 years ago. I had my gall bladder surgery about 5 years ago. Maybe this was just an awful fluke with you. Will your Dr be waiting 6 weeks post op from your hysterectomy before removing your gall bladder?
COMMUNITY LEADER
I'm sorry, I forgot to mention that if you do have the surgery it's a pretty easy one. You may be able to go in the morning and come home that afternoon or evening.
I went to the ER Tuesday night.  They did an abdominal ct scan. I didn't find out until I was already home on Wednesday that it showed sludge and/ or gallstones. My primary ordered an ultrasound for yesterday. It came back normal.  Now I have to wait until Monday to see her.

Idk what I'm suppose to do. The pain is awful, to say the least, and meds aren't working. How am I suppose to survive this weekend?

Laura
COMMUNITY LEADER
Your ultrasound came back normal? That's strange if the ct scan showed something. I know, the pain is so awful. Are you vomiting or anything?Is the pain more on your right side and going around to your back? If the pain gets too bad today get to the hospital. They will do more testing and also give you stronger meds. I'm so sorry you're going through this. I know exactly what it feels like and it is terrible.
Laura, what ended up happening?  I am 2.5 weeks post op from hysterectomy and having the same, god-aweful pains and my intuition told me it's my gall bladder...i have had issues with it in the past.  But, like you, this came about suddenly here.  When I googled "gall bladder angry after hysterectomy", your post and the other gal's came up. How are you?   Su
I have been having similar problems. I also had a LAVH about 3 wks ago and since then i have had severe nausea and occasionaal vomitting. My pain hasnt been severe other than upon examination so my surgeon said to go to my family practice dr n get my gallbladder checked. Like you Ive never had problems so Im confused as to why these issues are occuring now. I know its not any helpful advice, just thought Id let you know ur not alone
I had a hysterectomy 9 years ago. I do not recall having pain like you all are describing but I did have nausea and severe diarrhea. The diarrhea was very slow to improve...was still at a moderate level 9 months post-op. Now 9 years post-op, I still have some urgency and very loose bowels. An ultrasound done years ago showed a normal gallbladder and ducts. A Celiac test was normal. I have not done any more workups...frustrated with the whole medical system since my unwarranted hysterectomy and ovary removal. Plus I am not in pain so I just live with the bowel issues.
I had a total hysterectomy in February and now have a thickened gall bladder and it is not functioning properly.  Am being referred to a surgeon.  Interestingly enough I had estrogen and testosterone pellets (BHRT) placed a few years ago and my Estrogen level is still in the 40's range.  I was doing a lot of research and found that estrogen dominence can cause gall bladder problems.  
I'm 37 now I had my gallbladder removed about in 2006 worst pain in my life . I had an MRI the doctor was there the second night my dad had to carry me to the ER crying .But I had 2 clusters of gall stones on both sides and my gallbladder was inflamed.and 3 years ago I had a full hysterectomy to many problems with ovarian cysts they were the size of fruit and very painful. Off and on my cycle but when I did have my cycle it was like sever pain. Best 2 descions I ever made.
I've read about a link between hysterectomy and gall bladder disease. But I thought it was caused by taking estrogen. There is a link between bladder and bowel problems after hysterectomy since those organs are displaced after the uterus is removed. So it would seem possible that the gall bladder could be affected too.

Although I don't have abdominal pain, my bowels have been messed up since my hysterectomy. A test showed fat malabsorption which may or may not be related to the gall bladder or pancreas. I have given up trying to get answers partly because of the trauma I experienced with having had my uterus and ovaries unnecessarily removed.

Are you still having problems and need surgery?