Hormone problems after total hysterectomy (still have ovaries)
I am a 29 year old mother of 3 and I had a total hysterectomy in Nov.  Since I had the surgery I have developed acne really bad!  I have tried everything from pro active to hair tied back and no makeup.  I called my obgyn and he said that because I still have my ovaries it most likely is due to something else.  I find this answer hard to believe because I seem to also be emotional all the time and even when I am cold I have rings of sweat under my arms!  I am happy that I do not have my period any more but it seems like I am going through puberty again.  I still get cramps but not as bad when it is my time of the month.  I asked my doctor if I could get my thyroid checked just in case.  I don't want to sound like a hypochondriac, but I am miserable!  Help!
First of all let me clarify something for you, if you had a total hysterectomy, you do not still have your ovaries. So, with that being said, if you did indeed have a total then it sounds like you are in need of some hormone replacement. It sounds like you are having classic symptoms of going through menepause which is what you are suppose to do after a total hysterectomy. If your doctor isn't listening to you, then I urge you to find one who does. There is no reason for you to be this miserable.
You are incorrect. That is not what a total hysterectomy is. A total hysterectomy only means your uterus and cervix have been removed
I started to use progesterone cream and solved the hot flashes, sweats and mood after my hysterectomy I recommend it.
A total hysterectomy is the complete surgical removal of the cervix and the uterus, not always the ovaries...I know because I just had a total hysterectomy and I still have my ovaries. I also double checked on the internet as to the definition of a total hysterectomy.  I even joked with my doctor as to why they refer to the word total when some things are still left inside. Maybe after surgery your ovaries died...did they take or leave your fallopian tubes?  Sometimes if they remove them then your ovaries can "die" and your will experience hot flashes etc.
You should check out HERS website.  As far as acne, I can tell you that my daughter was suffering from acne due to hormonal imbalance and she had clearlight treatments which completely cured her acne.  I imagine that this treatment has not been widely accepted because it really works and then the acne indurstry looses money, but I witnessed it and it worked.  However, if you can correct your hormonal imbalance, which is probably harder to do, then your acne will probably clear up.  It's hard to find a doctor interested in hormonal imbalance but that is most likely the cause so good luck.
Acne is more common in males than in females. It is especially common in males around puberty. Androgens (testosterone and others) are involved in acne. Sebum keeps our skin smooth and supple. Extra androgens stimulate excess sebum production; drying sebum blocks the gland outlet at the skin surface, causing retention of sebum. Vitamin A deficiency can aggravate acne and make it more difficult to heal. Vitamin A or beta-carotene and zinc aid the resolution of acne. When a woman in her late thirties or early forties develops acne increased androgen production is suspected. In almost all adult female patients with this condition, supplemental progesterone clears the skin. Dr John Lee's hypothesis is that ovarian follicle depletion leading to progesterone deficiency results in increased adrenal production of androgens. When progesterone is re-supplied, androgen production goes down and the skin clears. (The same hypothesis does not apply to men.) But in women, topical progesterone cream does wonders for acne.

found this on Humexlabs website.  Get your hormones levels checked with a saliva test and proceed form there.
I too had a complete hysterectomy and have my ovaries.  A "Radical" hysterectomy with when they take everything.  Anyway.  I didn't have symptoms as bad as yours but I swore I was going through menopause and all doc's said no.  I still don't believe them.  You are having all the symptoms of menopause and I did as well.  I went on estrogen and it helped alot.  Not having a Uterus helps with the main problem of possible uterine cancer from ERT.  This is a choice you'll have to make for yourself but it definately helped me.
There has always been confusion about total or complete or radical....bottom line you need to find out if you have ovaries or not for sure.  Maybe I am ignorant but I thought if you have your uterus taken you are thrown into early menopause!  With or without your ovaries.  I believe you still have hormone problems.  Go into the expert forum and ask the doctor. Maybe I am full of it and don't know it LOL.
okokok nope.I am right....got this off Hystersisters site...

You have been through a lot in the past week or so. Your body has been through major surgery. Your body is tired and you are fatigued. You have pain medications in you and your hormones (whether ovaries were removed or not) are surging up and down.
You see, I have already gone thru menopause, and so when I was going for hysterectomy I asked doctor would I have any noticeable change without ovaries, and he said no cause I went thru menopause already....I still kept them though because I have osteoporosis and need the little drip that is left haha...but you young girls are different, you will have hormone change.and if your doctor is not addressing those things I would find a new one.  Good luck.
Madge
i am 47 years old , i had a hysterectomy 5 years ago still have ovaries  and have been  miserable ever since .these are my symptoms.
no sleep, night sweats hot flashes brain fog, weight gain upper abdominal bloating constantly, constipation, no sex drive at all
i am always depressed. have tried hrt but more weight gain.  i have tried everything under the sun nothing works just want to give up,  please if anyone can help me, or has gone through the same please let me know what helped you..
I am only 28. 7 weeks ago today I had cervix, uterus and fallopian tubes taken out with ovaries left in. Every single one of the symptoms you just mentioned I have. I used to be cold all the time now hot flashes won't stop. Also I never gained weight before no matter what I ate. In the last 3 1/2 weeks I have gained 8 lbs.
Rosie:
I had a complete hysto. back in 84 (they took everything, including ovaries).  I was on the vivelle patch (estrogen only) for all those years.  I started to fall apart about 3 years ago.  Really crashed last winter with anxiety, panic attacks, no libido, on and off depression etc....   I finally found a Dr. that knew all about hormone imbalances and she works with bioidentical hormone replacement.  It's been 36 days now and I'm feeling so much better.  I'm not 100% yet but I'm getting so much better.
After all the tests (well, not all are back yet) have been done,  I was estrogen dominant and hormones were WAY OUT of balance.  She is now trying to balance everything.
Don't give up but find a doc or NP that deals with hormones and imbalances and uses bioidentical hormone replacement.
How do you find a doctor that specializes in hormones?
i noticed your wrote this article on this forum a couple of years ago, but i need some help.....just 4 weeks ago i had my uterus removed, and my face is a mess, especially my chin....i hardly got a pimple ever, maybe before i started my period here and there, but now i have like 7 acne pimples on my chin, and above my lip and its driving me nuts, there sore and yucky..............i went to the doc today and he gave me stuff that they usally give teenagers for acne problems but since today is the first day i used it i don't know if its going to work or not..................i have an appt with my OBGYN in a couple of weeks so I will defiently mention it to him as well if that medicine doesn't work......i am worried cause I would rather have had 2 periods a month than my face looking like a pizza.................just wondered how did you make out with your acne problem? was it hormonal? stress? or what and did it go away????
I know that your post was 2 years ago but I wondered if you ever got any answers for the issues you were experiencing? I also had a TOTAL Hysterectomy leaving only my ovaries over 3 years ago and I have had similar issues as well as additional issues. My main concern was my sweating, constant headaches, fatigue, sudden weight gain and loss of energy. Please let me know if you ever received any answers to your concerns or better than that, any relief to them. I have scheduled an appointment to see my OBGYN this week and hope to resolve all of mine.
i had my uterus and tubes removed 2 months ago d/t a very large fibroid . i felt great for about a week. no pain!!! then everything went south. I have constant tingling in my upper and lower extremities. severe anxiety, panic attacks.  i would give anything to have hot flahes or crying jags. theses  are common symptoms thatone relates to menopause. i never heard anyone c/o tingling.  please if someone has heard of this please respond. i feel alone in this journey.
I had a total abdominal hysterectomy in July 2010. The total abdominal hysterectomy consists of the uterus and cervix being removed only. Your ovaries and tubes remain in place. If you opt to have your ovaries removed then in is considered a total abdominal hysterectomy with unilateral or bilateral salpingoophorectomy. The reason I know is my doctor put that description on my surgical consent form because I was facing having my ovaries removed as well due to a large cyst.
Actually, a total hysterectomy means your uterus and cervix was removed.  Having your ovaries removed is called an Oophorectomy.  They can be done at the same time but a hysterectomy has nothing to do with your ovaries.  Do your research before you try to clarify something for someone else.  I had a total hysterectomy.  I did not have an oophorectomy-I still have my ovaries.
I HAVE HAD ENDOMETRIOSIS SINCE I WAS 14 YEARS OLD. (I AM 38 NOW0 I HAVE HAD SO MANY SURGERYS THAT THE SCAR TISSUE FUSED ALL MY REPRODUCTIVE ORGANS TO OTHER PARTS OF MY BODY, WHICH MADE IT VERY PAINFUL TO MOVE OR TWIST A CERTAIN WAY. I HAD A FULL BLOWN HYSTERECTOMY AT AGE 37. THEY REMOVED 12LBS OF SCAR TISSUE AND CYSTS. I AM MUCH MORE COMFORTABLE---NO PAIN AND I DROPPED WEIGHT. MY ONLY COMPLAINT IS THAT I GET CANT SLEEP,THE HOT FLASHES ARE HORRIBLE, AND MY SEX DRIVE IS GONE. THAT ***** BECAUSE MY HUBBY IS GORGEOUS.
Your story sounds a lot like mine. I had a total hysterectomy at the age of 36 am now 42.  The first couple of years I lost weight, became in great shape, had lots of energy, no more PMS and a renewed sex life with my spouse.  My hormones had finally evened out from years of bleeding and horrible painful periods. I do however have night sweats and still have trouble sleeping through the night, thats why I am here. I am now having hormonal problems, straing facial hairs, achne, a lot of weight gain, depression and exhaustion and my breast feel like they are going to burst they are so painful. I feel as though I am going through puberty again but I know I wont grow inches to counter this weight..
I had my hysterectomy just 7 weeks ago, they only removed the uterus, I haven't had any real problems other than being unable to sleep properly, restless legs at night, sore breasts and still a bit of a dragging feeling. My main concern is the acne I've developed, especially on my chin and back, although today I have noticed more acne developing around the sides of my face and I do actually look like a hormonal teenager. I will be going to get it checked out as I wouldn't have thought just having the uterus removed would cause it, but it is a big disruption to the body and it has to adjust.
hey I had a complete hysterectomy march 13 I am 45 yrs old It wasn't something I wanted to do but I had breast cancer at 43 and it was the fast growing  The said the best thing I could do was to get my ovaries out.I can't take any hormane meds so I'm just gonna have to just wait and see what happens and deal with it. I'm having alot of lower back pain now and my belly still feels bloated but other then that I feel ok for now .Has anyone esle been through the same thing and can tell me maybe what maybe next or are there any things that can help since I can't take hormane meds thanks Sherry
I too have had a total hysterectomy a year ago and kept my ovaries. I had acne and now it's gone for the most part my ovaries fluctuate as if I had gotten pregnant, started menopause, puberty, then again normal, like clockwork. My depression comes, my weight has increased, not sure the answer for you yet as too when this will subside, one day I have normal lubrication, next it's too much, then it's dry and cycles around again. I was told it will stabilize but not there yet. So hope this at least helps you feel not alone