Hysterectomy and mood changes (depression, anxiety, irritability, mood swings)

After having a hysterectomy, did you experience depression, anxiety, irritability or mood swings? Were your ovaries also removed? If so, why? Mood disorders seem fairly common even when ovaries are not removed. Since ovarian function is impaired after hysterectomy, that may explain the mood changes. But the uterus may also have some mood regulating substances.
I had my ovaries removed, along with everything else, back well over 20 years ago. I had stage 4 endo, ovarian cysts, debilitating periods, and a host of other things.

For me, things like depression, irritability, and mood swings improved because I wasn't in pain any longer. I'd been living with chronic pain since I'd started my period, and my entire life changed with the surgery.

It's not a cure, and it has it's risks, but for me - and it may not be the same for anyone else - it was a blessing.

You are reading content posted in the Hysterectomy Community