Hysterectomy Community

Insomnia no estrogen

I had a total hysterectomy in 2012. Ovaries and uterus removed. I never did go through menopause symptoms. I was 39 years old. My doctor started me on premarin. I took it for 2 years and then quit. The doctor wanted me on it for 10 years. I never told him I quit it. I haven't seen a Gynecologist in 4 years. I'm 45 years old now. I've felt great not being on hormones. I haven't experienced any menopause symptoms. A few months ago I started getting really bad insomnia. I've been getting more irritable and I do get little sweaty at night. My body doesn't have any estrogen. I've looked it up on the internet that no estrogen can cause insomnia and other problems like depression too. I have been sad and experiencing more anxiety just because I'm not getting sleep like I use to. I went to a neurologist who thinks I have obstructive sleep apnea. I don't think I do. I'm not overweight and I barely snore. I'm thinking of calling a different gynecologist to see if they can do some blood work and see if the real problem for my insomnia is no estrogen. I will be willing to get back on hormones just to get sleep. Any advise I greatly appreciate it.
It's amazing you didn't have symptoms way before this. I was a complete basket case very quickly after my hysterectomy at age 49. I'm not sure I could function without estrogen.

Did / do you by any chance have endometriosis? Or was one or part of one ovary possibly left? If not, then your adrenal and thyroid glands must have been picking up the slack and just cannot do it any more.

What gynecologists fail to acknowledge and many women do not realize is that the ovaries are health "powerhouses." They produce hormones a woman's whole life, with estrogen falling but testosterone gradually increasing in the post-meno years. Ovary removal (or failure after hysterectomy) has been shown to increase our risk for many health problems and chronic illnesses. It's shocking that ovaries continue to be removed so frequently without a cancer diagnosis or genetic cancer risk. Although hormones can mitigate some of those risks, they cannot replace all the hormones and health promoting benefits of ovaries.  

It's been 12 years since my hysterectomy. I don't have any plans to stop taking estrogen since I fear going back to that nightmare 2+ years post-op before I found the right form and dose of estrogen.

Best to you in getting relief from these symptoms.