Hysterectomy Community

Severe Anemia,

My hgb was 5.8 on 2/2/11   and 6.4 on 2/10/11 My doctor says if I get dizzy go to the ER, my gyn says go now for a transfusion.   Is this a dangerous level?
Are you pregnant?  Your red blood cells or hgb is what carries oxygen to your body through your red blood cells.  This is a low hgb with the normal being 12-14.  We usually transfuse people below 6 who are feeling symptoms.  Why is yours so low?  Usually after a transfusion, people feel so much better and have more energy.  If you are pregnant, it is not only you that needs this good oxygen but the baby too.
No I am not pregnant.   This has been going on for some time now  about 3 years.  but this is the lowest it has ever been.   I have had a transfusion in 2006 because it was 7.3  and I had to have another one in July of last year because it was 6.   They dont know why it goes so low.   I do have severly heavy periods.  but even with the transfusions it doesnt go higher than 10.