Solution for depression after post full hysterectomy

Hello, my wife had a full hysterectomy approximately 10 years ago and everything was taken out, EVERYTHING. She had a few cysts and her gynecologist suggested a full hysterectomy due to the fact that the cysts could come back if she were to get a a half hysterectomy. Long story short, she's a strong woman who really keeps it together but she has recently expressed that she's been battling depression. We are aware that her hysterectomy is the cause of this, she took hormones (estrogen) and didn't like how she felt on them so she decided not to take them. We are writing in hopes of finding another solution for what she is experiencing, dieting tips, supplement suggestions, anything. If there is anyone out there who has undergone the same procedure and has found resolve for these side effects we'd like to hear from you as well.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I am sorry your wife's gyn removed all her parts. Mine were also removed (needlessly since all that needed to be removed was an ovarian cyst). For me, the effects were severe in every way. I became suicidal and aged dramatically overnight (hair, skin, vision, muscle mass) and couldn't function... couldn't concentrate, think logically, remember anything, couldn't sleep, etc. Estrogen was a huge help for me.

Was she possibly on too little or too much estrogen or a delivery route that didn't suit her? The patch was miserable for me. I am now on the estradiol pill.

If estrogen doesn't help her, there are many choices of anti-depressants or she could try a supplement such as St. John's wort or 5-HTP. Those are the ones that come to mind although I suspect there are others.

I wish you both the best with this.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Hysterectomy Community