Hysterectomy Community

Weight gain after Hysterectomy

Dear Doc

I was 40yrs, of 72 kg when I underwent Hysterectomy on 30 May'06. One ovary was left behind. However, I was able to do some wt. management for about an year or so. But now, in spite of all my efforts I am gaining weight , especially  on my stomach, butt and upper arms. Of course, lot of laxness has seeped in due to wt. increase hence am feeling very demoralized and unable to follow up a fitness program also. Please help.Also would want to mention , I am O+ blood group. Kindly recommend a suitable diet plan (Vegetarian preferably) for me. Thank you.
COMMUNITY LEADER
Weight gain can happen with some women after having a hysterectomy. Are you taking any hormones? I would recommend eating plenty of fruits and veggies and eating several small meals a day instead of 3 big meals. If you don't feel like exercising maybe you can start by taking short walks and work your way up. Even going to the mall to window shop will give you a little exercise. Remar
Thanks for your response Remar. No I am not taking any hormones. As for my diet, I do make an effort to eat a lot of fruits. Still I get to hear lot of NO's for many fruits. Hence I really need a Dietitian's advice, if available.
COMMUNITY LEADER
If your able to see a dietitian that would be great. I'm just throwing this out there because it can happen to some women that have had hysterectomies. You might want to ask your Dr to do blood work to check your thyroid. If it's low then that might be the cause of your weight gain. Are you feeling alright without the hormones?
Well, I really don't know what diff will hormones make. Yes, My sugar level has come 127 - 195 as of yesterday. I do have a diabetic family history. It was able to control it last year n I stopped taking the medicine after 2 months. Please help me with what fruits I should eat. I am very fond of milk products. My Protein level is also high - ESR etc. Please guide me
COMMUNITY LEADER
If you feel alright not taking any hormones then you probably don't need them. Fruits naturally have sugar in them so you may want to eat them in moderation. Try not to drink fruit juices because they're loaded with sugar. Carbs can make your blood sugar levels go up also. If you can work with a dietitian that also helps people control their blood sugar that would be ideal.  Remar