Hysterectomy Community

bloating or gaining weight after surgery??

Is it normal to be bloated or feeling like I am gaining a pound everyday after surgery? It's only been 5 weeks since my hysterectomy, and I'm not eating much since then either. My same clothes I have been wearing are getting tighter and tighter. How can things change this fast?? Yes I am not as physical right now, but I am "puffed up" more than normal. I'm still in pain sometimes, but trying to take care of myself the best I can. I would love to hear from other's about their post hysterectomy situations.  Thanks....Shannon.
I had my surgery a little over a week ago and I am still bloated. I think the bloating is normal. Do you have a six week follow-up with your GYN? You should have. Just to be on the safe side, I would call your doctor and ask these questions, or you could even ask his nurse. I have heard that the bloating is normal, even after that many weeks, but I would still call the doctors office.

I know how you feel about the bloating and weight gain! Last Wednesday I had an appointment with my Cardiologist and they weighed me - I had gained weight and the nurse mentioned it too! I was a little depressed over it so I decided I was going to watch what I ate from then on. Well, before I watched what I ate I weighed myself last Friday morning and I lost 6 lbs.! How is that possible? I wondered. I am a little concerned about losing that much weight in only 2 days, and with no effort on my part! So now here I am wondering if THIS is normal to lose! I thought I would be happy about this, but nope I'm concerned instead.

Are you on any hormones yet? If so, maybe the hormones will cause the weight gain, just a guess.
Hello; so glad to hear from you! Thanks for your reply. Yes, maybe I will call the dr's office and ask more questions. But, it's sure nice to have others to chat with that are going through the same things, isnt' it. I do have a follow-up 8 weeks with my gyno who did the surgery and my home doctor for the 6 weeks. It's 5 weeks tomorrow that I had the surgery and I am still feeling sharp pains in pelvic area. They took out my uterus and cervix and left my ovaries in. I am not on any hormones or any meds for this. I feel like I have a strong painful menstrual cycle for 5 weeks!! This surgery was supposed to stop that. They say it's normal to feel like it, but goodness sakes, it's like a 5 week bloating, cramping and painful period!! My clothes are tighter on me, especially my shirts and bra are much tighter on me and I have been eating very well the whole time since surgery and of course, my physical activities are reduced for now. I am afraid I will be stuck like this forever now. When the heck will my body get back to normal, if I can call it that!! How are you feeling since you had your surgery recently? How is the pain for you been? You say you are losing weight. Has your stomach and bowels returned to normal since your surgery? What happened to me right after surgery is my bowels did not work for a few days and of course I did lose a few pounds because of the "jello diet", hahahaha. I lost bit of weight because I was on a liquid and jello dies 2 days before surgery to clean bowels, etc. and it took a bit of time to get me back on track and since I was good after  a week gone by, then I started to notice the puffiness and bloating and of course, the darn pelvic pains. Hope you are feeling well and not in much pain. But for the weight loss, I would think it would be from the change of diet for the surgery and the bowels having to get back to normal for you. I'm only saying this because it is what has happened to me. I look forward to hearing from you again. Take care of yourself !!! Talk to you again soon.  Shannon....
My Vaginal Hysterectomy with cystocel and rectocel repair with replacement sling was one week ago this morning.  I came home on Thursday and was five pounds heavier for the first week.....I was swollen due to being in stirrups in surgery for 4 hours. My thighs were numb the first day or so.  I am feeling great today, sitting here at my computer.  One day i feel 20 years younger and the next day I am tired and achy.  I am 56 yoa and I think this is the best thing I ever did in my life. Since my first prolapse I have had bad to severe back pain and upon waking from anestesia, I knew it was gone!  Its like a miracle to me.
You will have a huge amount of gas! The more you walk the more it will expell relieving you of pain.  I stopped all pain meds but for tylenol two days ago.
My appetite is off but I am eating enough to function.  I am continuing to lose weight....
I have lost the 5 lbs from surgery and an additional 3 lbs as of today.  I am a new woman and can't tell you how much I feared this surgery....I had a wonderful surgeon and horrible nurses.  Do not expect any care after surgery and then you won't be disappointed.  The only time I had good nurses was pre-op..............good luck!
p.s.
if stool softeners do not help get things going, use MilkOMagnesia..........will work like a charm.....;)
I am better than before in that department too now!
Yep it is normal. I had mine this past July and I felt really bloated immediately after the surgery and since then I feel like I gain weight instead of losing it. I too don't each much and yet I can't lose an ounce.
Hello to you too! I am feeling much better. I still do have a little pain here and there, but I think that is normal. As a matter of fact, I haven't taken any pain meds in about a week!

I know how you feel when you say you still get those crampy pelvic pains - I still have them too every once in a while, BUT this could be normal for both of us because I've heard the healing, or being pain free can take from 6 months to a year.

I feel a bit better hearing Madge lost weight! I guess my weight loss is normal then. Hey I could get used to this! LOL!