hysterectomy or removal of the tumor?
so my friend's mother has a benign tumor in the uterus and she's confused between choosing to completely remove the uterus or just the tumor and i don't know what is the type of the tumor or how much it has invaded ..can you help?
Most uterine tumors are fibroids, 99% of which are benign. A myomectomy is the surgery to remove fibroids and leave the uterus in place. Hysterectomy is grossly overused in the U.S. and some other countries when myomectomy would be more appropriate.

The uterus has lifelong functions so hysterectomy is associated with permanent and progressive problems. These include anatomical changes such as displacement of the bladder, bowel and vagina causing dysfunction, spinal compression and hip widening causing back problems (as well as figure changes). Sexual dysfunction is a common complaint. And ovarian function is oftentimes impaired which is associated with accelerated aging and earlier death since the ovaries produce health promoting hormones a woman's whole life.

It can take some searching to find a gynecologist who has the skills and ethics to do a myomectomy versus a hysterectomy. Hysterectomy is an easier / quicker surgery and from what I've read is more profitable.