Hysterectomy Community
2.37k Members
hysterectomy or removal of the tumor?
so my friend's mother has a benign tumor in the uterus and she's confused between choosing to completely remove the uterus or just the tumor and i don't know what is the type of the tumor or how much it has invaded ..can you help?
1 Responses
Most uterine tumors are fibroids, 99% of which are benign. A myomectomy is the surgery to remove fibroids and leave the uterus in place. Hysterectomy is grossly overused in the U.S. and some other countries when myomectomy would be more appropriate.

The uterus has lifelong functions so hysterectomy is associated with permanent and progressive problems. These include anatomical changes such as displacement of the bladder, bowel and vagina causing dysfunction, spinal compression and hip widening causing back problems (as well as figure changes). Sexual dysfunction is a common complaint. And ovarian function is oftentimes impaired which is associated with accelerated aging and earlier death since the ovaries produce health promoting hormones a woman's whole life.

It can take some searching to find a gynecologist who has the skills and ethics to do a myomectomy versus a hysterectomy. Hysterectomy is an easier / quicker surgery and from what I've read is more profitable.
Have an Answer?
Top Women's Health Answerers
4769306 tn?1519524956
NC
Learn About Top Answerers
Hysterectomy Community
2.37k Members
2.85k Questions
Popular Resources
From skin changes to weight loss to unusual bleeding, here are 15 cancer warning signs that women tend to ignore.
Here’s what you need to know about the transition into menopause – and life after the change takes place.
It’s more than just the “baby blues.“ Learn to recognize the signs of postpartum depression – and how to treat it.
Forget the fountain of youth – try flossing instead! Here are 11 surprising ways to live longer.
From STD tests to mammograms, find out which screening tests you need - and when to get them.
Find out if PRP therapy right for you.