Hysterectomy Community

taking progesterone after hysterectomy????

Hello everyone,

I'm posting this question on behalf of my mother because she can't speak English.

My mother is 52 years old and she had her hysterectomy ten years ago (only her cervix was removed but not her ovaries). She has been taking estrogen for HRT and progesterone for the prevention of breast cancer. However, some of her friends have advised her not to take the progesterone because her cervix has been removed.
This has left her wondering if she should take the progesterone or not...
Does anyone have any experience with regard to this matter. Your advise will be much appreciated. Thank you.
COMMUNITY LEADER
Do you know what name of her med is? Is it two different meds, or one combo? Most Drs will not put their patients on HRT if you keep your ovaries because they still produce hormones. But, all Drs are different.
Hello remar,

thank you very much for your kind reply.
My mum is sleeping right now. I think she is taking estrogen and progesterone SEPERATELY, if that's what you mean..
I will ask her tomorrow and give you the answer, so that you can give me your final answer. Thank you once again.
Hello again,

I just asked her and she said she takes them seperately. EQUIN 0.625MG (estrogen)
and MEDROXYPROGESTERONE 5 (5mg). She also reminded me to tell you that she is menopausal and that her ovaries do not produce hormones anymore. Please tell me if you have any suggestions with regard to the information I have given you. Thank you.
COMMUNITY LEADER
Yes, that's true. Your mom probably either would have already finished menopause or be going through it right now if she's 52.
Even after menopause the ovaries still produce hormones, just not nearly as much.
I wish I could tell you that taking hormone replacement therapy is completely safe and there's nothing to worry about.But all meds, even aspirin, can have side effects I take hormones because I had a complete hysterectomy. It is a personal choice as long as the patient has never had cancer or any other risk factors.
I would recommend that your mom see her Gynecologist every single year for a breast exam, mammogram and of course a pelvic exam to make sure everything is fine.