Ideas for economical living . Community
73 Members

try these stores

For the first time with economy in my head I went into a 99 cents store, very busy very small aisles, but I was surprised at the items in there all for 99cents a pop. If you look around you can find expensive coffee, oils, spices, soups indeed a whole range of foods one could'nt afford in a regular store. I will be going in again as prices start to rise .try it .
PS as corn is mostly now used for making ethanol no corn  prices will rocket , our food has corn in it corn is used to feed cattle for meat, so now we are using it instead of drilling on our own land to produce Ethanol .....go figure .... the craziness goes on ...
I went to the 99c only store this week they had some really good wine in, at 99cents a pop, so I got a few,thing is these things are not bad, they are just stock the other stores dont sell and let this store get them at wholesale ,at least I think so , this wine was what can I say, fruity and delectable ......lol
We have a Grocery Outlet and a Dollar Tree right next door to each other.  Get this, they are actually owned by the same conglomerate.  Anyway, yes, to confirm what you said, they do have some really good deals, if you can find what you are looking for.  The things you mentioned aren't what I look for, because of my specific health issues, but those are good deals.  I sometimes go in there just to buy back up batteries for my emergency radios and flashlights and other such devices, because there is just no way I can afford to buy them at the higher prices.  But, I prefer to buy those at Big Lots, simply because they have the same idea with the batteries and only a few cents more, rather than several dollars more.  Pretty good still, since I go there for other necessities, like my household paper products.  Let's face it, women need TP a whole lot more often than men do, so it's simply not a luxury item, but is a necessity.  I can buy what I need of these kinds of items for a whole lot less money than I usually can in other types of stores, including the usual grocery stores.  It did go up a dollar, but it is still 12 of the double rolls for a lot less money than at other stores.  I just don't see any sense in paying more for such a necessity than I absolutely have to.  

I can get by with a lot less in paper towels than other people do, because I can manage without those if I absolutely have to do so.  So, I know that is one way that other people can cut costs--use less paper products such as paper towels.  I use as few as possible for environmental concerns as well as cost cutting.  Sometimes I don't have the money to buy them if I run out before my payday.  That's when I notice all those little ways one can manage to live without paper towels.  So, I try to follow suit even when I can afford to buy another roll or so, since it makes sense economically and environmentally at the same time.  I'm just saying that this works for me to save money, so I'm thinking it's a good way for other people to save money, too.

A really good way to save money on cleaning supplies, since that kind of goes with the same territory as the paper towel thing, is to use the chemical free recipes one can find online.  I was thrilled that the added bonus to my efforts to go chemical free out of necessity for my health ( I have Multiple Chemical Sensitivity) was that I can also save a lot of money doing things this way.  One can save so much money by using just three basic ingredients to do a multitude of cleaning chores in the house:  White vinegar, baking soda/Bon Ami and castile soap.  The castile soap already has essential oils in it and it's concentrated already, so you don't need a lot of it.  Just making a paste with either the baking soda or the Bon Ami and castile soap will work like soft soap and still disinfects at the same time.  That one container of Dr. Bronner's castile soap will actually last a long time, so the initial cost is well worth the money and will save money on all those other cleaning products you won't need to buy if you use the castile soap.  It works very well to clean your porcelain fixtures.  The extra grittiness in the Bon Ami, which is very inexpensive, takes care of the bathtub when you need that extra tough scouring to clean your bath tub.

If you don't want to use a few drops of the castile soap in the toilet, in order to cut costs and save money, just use 1/2 c to 1 c straight up undiluted white vinegar in the toilet.  Just pour, use the scrub brush, then let the stuff sit 'til the next person uses the toilet, so it will work on disinfecting the toilet.  That's all there is to it.  Then you can use the undiluted stuff to wipe around the toilet and under the seat like you would with your other usual cleaning products.  No more involved than your usual cleaning routine and won't make you feel sick and is more environmentally friendly--and it really does save money.  Since you can also use the vinegar for cleaning glass, no other cleaner is necessary to buy for the mirrors, chrome and windows in the household.  It's very economical.  I have found that just a clean dry dish cloth I pull out of the cupboard saves me from having to waste paper towels for the mirror, too.  It can then be air dried and replaced in the cupboard to use again later, or throw the one in the kitchen in the laundry and use this one that was only used for the glass to clean off fingerprints to wash the dishes.  It's still clean, so either way--why not.

Anyway, Big Lots is kind of on the same order as the stores you're talking about and the couple of cleaning tips are economical and an added bonus.  Why not, since those cleaning tips really do save money, too.
WOW great info for us love it..I never expected to be in this position but I am so this kind of economising is so great and can be fun ,I have always found the toilet a problem to clean never having had to do it, but I am now my own house keeper, and toilets elude me particularly with a messy DH who doesnt lift a finger .LOL will I be able to get the castille soap in Big lots ? I am also very sensitive to chemicals and pretty well a lot of things, I break out in hives when I go into his workshop or even the garden , I find apple cider vinegar very soothing for hives .
Castile soap is usually found in places like Trader Joe's, Co-ops, natural food markets, and health food stores.  Dr. Bronner's is the usual brand.  It is only a bit pricey when you first buy it, but it lasts a very long time.  The one with the tea tree oil has the best essential oil in it for disinfecting.  You can also buy eucalyptus, peppermint and a couple of others with the essential oils from Dr. Bronner's.  If you live in an area that doesn't have any of these kinds of stores in them, you can actually even go online, but it's better to buy from a local supplier, so you aren't paying for unnecessary shipping costs.

Castile soap is even found in bar soap form if there isn't any liquid.  You can just use the coarse setting on your box cheese grater for when you can only get the bar form and just add it to water if you need to do it that way.

It only fools you into thinking it's expensive when you pay that initial approximate cost of $15 for the 32 oz bottle of it.  However, I usually have a bottle of this last me several months to a year, so it's actually very economical.  It's actually concentrated.  It has more uses than what I use it for, but I have my other natural products that care for dishes and laundry, so it isn't hard to make it last a long time for me.

I noticed a somewhat less expensive castile soap at my market which is a combination regular and natural market.  I forget the name of it, but it's a lot smellier so I'm leery of it with my allergies and sensitivities.  I'm not sure what it uses to scent its liquid soap, but the smell is overwhelming to me, so I'm afraid of it.  It's not that much less expensive either, so if you're sensitive to stuff, Dr. Bronner's is definitely worth that initial cost of the bottle.

Oh, my, is DH using a lot of garden chemicals?  Or, are you like me and my own mother and actually rather sensitive even to ordinary garden soil?  Organic is still better even when sensitive to soil, as the sensitivity is definitely going to be less severe than if someone pollutes the soil with chemicals.  There are just so many things that can be done to control the damaging insects without the horrific chemicals that are also even less costly.  There is plenty of such information just about everywhere, so with some research online, you should be able to find it.  Don't forget to look online at PBS, since I remember a guy, whose first name is Jerry, who had a lot of useful and even more natural solutions for the yard and garden.  I never had a chance to put his tips into use, since I don't live in a place where I can garden.  His tips are economical and environmentally friendly at the same time.  Anyway, avoiding unnecessary chemicals in the garden or the workshop either one would truly help.  These days, avoiding those chemicals in the garden is especially important, since we need all the healthy soil we can get.

That toilet doesn't have to elude you.  Sometimes, what I do when I have trouble getting under the rim of the bowl with the brush is just use a green scrub pad (like the green side you see on some of those kitchen sponges) that I just leave in the bathroom near the toilet pedastal since the cat isn't weird or curious enough to mess with it.  It's hidden away where I keep it, so no one is the wiser.  I would just keep something like that in a small bucket in the bathroom under the sink if I had a bigger place than this and more traffic with other people and animals to worry about.  I've gotten pretty good with the brush I have now, though, so I haven't had to resort to the little green scrub pad for under the rim so much now.  I have found that the castile soap works wonders on the toilet, but so does the vinegar.  You don't have to use much of the castile soap at all if you're using it in the toilet.  When you're using the toilet brush, you will see it suds up good enough.  Just leave it in the bowl and don't flush it right away.  The essential oils will help to disinfect the bowl, just like when I said to leave the vinegar in the bowl.  Just use the same stuff for cleaning under the seats.  Oh, and it doesn't matter if you use white vinegar or apple cider vinegar from the big gallon jugs for this.  It's just that the white stuff is definitely less expensive.  If you're just cleaning with it, it really doesn't matter which one you use.  The white stuff actually works for jelly fish stings from what they say on TV, so I imagine the white stuff will work on other rashes, too.  You can save the apple cider vinegar that has the "mother" still in it and hasn't been filtered for your healthy consumption rather than cleaning.  That would be the kind that comes in the small glass jars with names like Braggs that say unfiltered that have that solid stuff that settles at the bottom.  That's the healthy stuff for consumption that you don't want to clean with.  It costs more for a reason--it's actually good for you.  The stuff that comes in the gallon jugs next to the white vinegar doesn't really have the health promoting properties left in it, as it's very processed and filtered.  So, just buy the white stuff in the gallon jug.  It's worth it for cleaning with.  The apple cider in the gallon jug--don't bother with if you plan on consuming it.  It's fine for the hives, though.  And, it's fine for anyone who is avoiding gluten even in cleaning vinegar, as the white stuff will have gluten in it.  And, it's fine if you prefer the smell of the apple cider vinegar.  But, if you're just saving money, the white stuff works very well.

But, no, Big Lots won't usually have castile soap.  You have to go to one of the places I mentioned to find it.  For great tips on other uses for the castile soap, you can also go to their website.  Lots of people with sensitivities love Dr. Bronner's.  I think it's worth that initial cost of the bottle, since I manage to have the same bottle for a very long time, even when using it for my household cleaning that I mentioned.
No I wont let him use garden chemicals, he would but I wont let him I love all the critters we get and there are gophers, lizards, etc also my cat, so I have to try to get the least hazard one to go round the house, last year I was inundated with sugar ants, and earwigs , we put one that read as having less toxins but it diidnt help I will have to get a company in, but I think their products are toxic.In tthe Dh workshop everything is toxic he works with boars and furniture ...
You must join this user group in order to participate in this discussion.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.