Immunization & Vaccine Community
684 Members

Trying to conceive and pertussis vaccine

I'm 39 years old and would like to start to try to conceive in a month. Is it necessary for me to take the Tdap vaccine before trying to conceive? Is the vaccine live-virus?  If I should take it, how long do I need to wait before trying to conceive? Thanks!
It would be wise to get the Tdap vaccination before getting pregnant. It is NOT a live virus vaccine so it is safe to get prior to conceiving. The Measles/Mumps/Rubella is also an important vaccine to have had prior to becoming pregnant.  It is now reccomended to have two MMR vaccinations and they are normally given in childhood at one year and six years, If you have not had the second one, it would be wise to get it, BUT it is a LIVE VIRUS vaccine and not to be given while you are pregnant.
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
We answer your top questions about the flu vaccine.
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
Healing home remedies for common ailments