Immunization & Vaccine Community
684 Members

pertussis vaccine

My son and daughter in law are getting ready to have there first baby in about 2 weeks. When I went to see them last month they told me i needed to get a pertussis vaccine. Is this true? and should it be done before the baby gets here. And how long before?
Thanks for your help
Hi There!
Pertussis is a very contagious illness which spreads through coughing or sneezing. It can cause fever, breathing difficulties, pneumonias and even convulsions in newborn babies. All parents and caretakers of newborn babies who would come in close contact with the newborn should receive pertussis vaccination to prevent spread of infection to the newborn. Therefore it is advisable that all such adults should be given Tdap at least two weeks before they come in contact with the newborn.Instaead of your usual shot of tetanus booster (Td )you can take Tdap.Hope it helps.
Take care and good luck!
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
We answer your top questions about the flu vaccine.
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
Healing home remedies for common ailments