Immunization Community
693 Members

I'm concerned I may be developing tetanus and am unsure if I've had enough shots.

As far as I know I was never immunized for tetanus as a child.  About 5 years ago when I was 19 I got in a car crash and got a single tetanus shot, I dont know what kind, I was unconscious for several hours and dont remember what the paperwork said. Fast forward until just about a month ago I was in a chicken coup and hit my head on a nail that was sticking out of the ceiling - it was relatively clean and rust free nail, but still, in a chicken coup - So I cleaning it out with hydrogen peroxide and went and got another shot within 24 hours of the unjury, I think it was a Tdap, but not sure, I told urgent care what happened and they gave me something. Now current date (just about exactly a month later) I have a sore red bump on my head that I believe has been there like two days.I forgot where the wound was, could be a really deep pimple I guess, but it doesn't really feel like one.

So I see three scenarios:

1: I'm over-reacting as I've been known to do and am fine.

2: Since I never got a series of shots one after another I'm not immune and I'm about to go through horrible agony over the next few months and maybe die (I know, I'm being dramatic)

3: Since I got a couple shots but they weren't in a series I'll still get tetanus, but it wont be as bad cus' they'll kinda help.

So, is my thinking somewhat accurate or am I totally wrong? There's only so much one can get from google and I'd love to understand tetanus better.
Also, should I got and get another shot or would it not make any difference at this point?
Well, possibility #1 is the most likely scenario.  If you've now received two tetanus shots, then you're most likely immune.  You can always ask that titers be drawn to check your status.

A red, sore bump on your head is thousands of times more likely a sign of bacterial infection if the wound was deep, or a pimple, or unrelated bump, than tetanus.  Tetanus symptoms would first show up in your muscles, with extreme tightening and spasms.

No, another tetanus shot at this point wouldn't make a difference regarding the nail-in-the-head incident, but your should definitely follow up with your doc to complete the vaccination series.
How are you feeling? How's your head?
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
We answer your top questions about the flu vaccine.
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
Healing home remedies for common ailments