Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close
599170 tn?1300973893

Private Messages

Im very interested to know if when we write private messages to one another are they truely 100% private.? Does MH view these?
15 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
10947 tn?1281404252
If you have a question about the privacy policy or MedHelp practices, please send your question to the Support team through Contact Us. This forum is for Suggestions only.

Thanks,
MedHelp
Helpful - 0
389974 tn?1331015242
Medhelp cannot access two things on this site:

1. Your password, because it is stored using one way encryption.

2. Your PHRs, because they too are encrypted. You can click to allow MH to see your PHRs, that authorization only lasts a short time.
Helpful - 0
599170 tn?1300973893
thanks all just wondered...pms should be as they indicate private we all click with certain people better than others on here, i got 4 great friends who we pm almost daily we dont waste our time gossiping we pour out our fears and support to each other,,,and explain some medical things we just dont want to share with all of MH,,,,  
Helpful - 0
213044 tn?1236527460
I also agree with Swampy regarding e-mails.

I have given mine to two people here.
That was one person too many.

Nobody else is getting my e-mail address.

Private Messages are private enough. Medhelp has better things to do than look through (how many?) thousands of members' accounts looking for...what? Somebody talking naughty about someone else?

They look for spam and abuse if it is reported.
They look for spam if the software indicates someone may be spamming through PMs.  

Helpful - 0
213044 tn?1236527460
Medhelp has stated that PMs are not really private, although they do not view PMs of others unless something odd prompts them to.

But they have the ability to access anything that you submit on this site. Anything you submit.

They understand the desire to keep PMs private, and they do not go snooping through any particular member's PMs on a whim.
Helpful - 0
365714 tn?1292199108
That does sound oppposite of what the community manager told me.  Maybe med help can come here and straighten this out...
Helpful - 0
460185 tn?1326077772
With very few exceptions, nothing is ever really private.  Even if we put old e-mails in the trash or secured trash - it is still "out there" and a really good hacker can retrieve it.  As far as I know, nothing on the internet is ever really gone; it might not be visible but someone always knows how to retrieve it.

MJ - I've heard the opposite.  IMs can look at PMs if they have a valid reason even without somebody reporting abuse.  There are certain patterns that indicate "spam" that the IMs can de†ect.  Maybe asking MH about PM privacy wouldn't be a bad idea.

Helpful - 0
365714 tn?1292199108
I asked the moderators about this a while ago. They replied that personal messages are indeed private. In fact when someone reports abuse, they don't know what those messages contain.
Helpful - 0
389974 tn?1331015242
The privacy analysis of private email is exactly the same as private messages on medhelp (unless you take special measures which very few people do).

Ultimately, you have to trust whoever owns and runs the servers to care for your data.

Swampy does not recommend that you give your private email out to people you meet on medhelp.
Helpful - 0
460185 tn?1326077772
Just a comment - try reading a journal by JSGeare about privacy.  It's really informative.  He's at MH and that journal entry is public.

Helpful - 0
495284 tn?1333894042
I agree with alienshadow.........our pm's should be private but im sure they arent so best to just use personal email
Helpful - 0
277836 tn?1359666174
If I were you I would do that on my personal email.
Helpful - 0
599170 tn?1300973893
Wow  I get that they have to watch out for abuse/ crime etc  but I really pour my heart out to some of my friend on my pms and it is meant for their eyes only.
Helpful - 0
Nothing is private on MedHelp...they can access anything and  remove anything .
Helpful - 0
495284 tn?1333894042
I dont think anything is private on here.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Improve MedHelp Suggestions Community

Popular Resources
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.
PrEP is used by people with high risk to prevent HIV infection.