Dentures

Our dentist said that our daughter could get dentures at age four and then implants as an adult.  Has anyone dealt with dentures for there child and how did they handle it?
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
This is a a really important topic specially since most of IP people have teeth problems. My dentist decided to not remove my baby teeth unless an adult tooth would be coming out. At age 11 I got braces with some adult teeth and some baby teeth.  Some of my adult teeth did not grow at full size so i got filling in them, I also wear a denture at the moment I have had it for the past 5 years (i'm 23 now) and let me tell you they look great, but for me personally is not the most comfortable thing in the world since my gums are sore sometimes.  Implants would be the best solution, in order for me to get implants I also need a bone implant. My best advice for people with IP children is to plan way in advance about the dental aspect of IP and go to the dentist regularly to take care of the little teeth that do come out.

Veronica
Helpful - 0

Veronica
Helpful - 0
Can they do a bone implant/graph? Is that crazy? my daughter goes in in Feb. to see the cranio-dacialist to discuss out options for her lack of bone. She is also supposed to get fit for her first set of dentures. I am a tad bit hesitant. Only because I have heard so mant tought things regarding dentures. Slipping, pinching, sores, not fitting right..yuck!! Did you get implants yourself? Amaris, my daughter, has only 8 teeth total right now, with three molars someday to appear, and two permanent teeth on the top middle. The resdont have any adult teeth. I would have to say the teeth issue is interesting. Thanks for your input..Katie and Amaris
Helpful - 0
My daughter and I have IP.  My daughter wanted implants.  After four years of braces and a retainer with false teeth to fill in the gaps, we found out that there was no bone to put the implant into.  She has had the retainer for 11 years.  They can put in a Maryland Bridge but she is hoping that implant technology gets better and someday she'll get her implants.
IP Mom
Helpful - 0
As you might be aware the most common symptom of IP is problematic teeth.  Many children have dentures or "flippers" until early adulthood when they can have implants.  Four years old is the earliest I have known of for dentures, but of course it depends upon how many teeth are missing and in what locations. If it impairs her ability to either eat or speak, then of course there is no choice.

Susanne Emmerich
Exec. Dir. IPIF

Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Incontinentia Pigmenti Community

Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions