Avatar universal

Future family planning

Hi All.... I have a 17 month old daughter who was diagnosed with IP at 6 weeks of age.  We are very blessed in that her condition is very mild.  My husband and I would like to have more children but fear having to go through what we went through with my daughter.  Does anyone know what the chances of this happening again are?  I have not been genetically tested (nor has my daughter - she was diagnosed by skin biopsy) but I do not think I have it.  Our doctors believe it was a spontaneous mutation.  I also also have a 3 year old son who is not effected.  I was just curious if there is anyone out there with a similar situation or who knows what the chances might be of it occuring again in this family.  Thank you for any advice you could give.
4 Responses
Avatar universal
I was also a spontaneous mutation (28 now).  The drs. determined that she did not have IP based on physical diagnosis and she went on to have 2 more healthy children after me.  My case is also mild.  Baylor is the only place in the US that tests for IP.  You could send them a blood sample to find out for sure.  Your genetic counselor will be able to help with this.  The test is around $500 if your insurance does not cover it (mine did not).  In 80% of cases the gene deletion can be identified.  This could also be important when the time comes for your daughter to have a family as there are many options for not passing on the gene.  If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.  I've done a lot of research recently for family planning purposes recently.  Best of luck to you!

Avatar universal
My daughter (8mos) & I have both tested positive for IP via genetic testing.  I too, and wanting more children but am very concerned about future pregnancies.  I am not sure of the odds if you are not a carrier, but I know in my case, I have a 50/50 chance of having a boy or girl and a 50/50 chance of the disorder being present.  Hope this helps.  Pam
Avatar universal
I am 30 with a 7 year old daughter that has IP.  I would love to have another child but have not been tested myself and the doctors at Baylor told me it was most likely a spontaneous mutation.  Maybe 1 day I will decide and just have the testing done on me to be sure.  I don't want to add stress to my pregnancy.  During my pregnancy with my daughter I had to be on blood pressure meds the entire pregnancy and I think that might of caused the mutation or I could just be grasping for an explanantion.  That being said I would never take anything no matter my health risks during a pregnancy.  So I am kinda at a stand still.
620222 tn?1294430726
Hi There! My daughter Rachael was diagnosed with IP around 10 weeks old (shes 2 1/2 now).  We had herself and me tested and I am not a carrier--so therefore she was a spontaneous mutation as well. We got a letter outlining IP from our genetic counsellor and i beleive she suggested doing testing should we choose to have more children, but that the likelyhood of another one of your eggs carring the mutaion was somewhere around 2-3%. Hope this helps!!
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Incontinentia Pigmenti Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions