Incontinentia Pigmenti Community
252 Members

I think im pregnant

My daughter Alexia has IP there are no other members of my husbands or my family with the disorder. We do not know for sure if we are carriers the doctors say that our daughter's condition could be a genetic fluc. My problem is I think I am pregnant (not planned). Does anyone know if there is a way to test the fetus for ip prior to birth or do I just need to cross my fingers and pray for the next 9months? Any info that could be provided would be greatly appreciated.
I'm sorry that you are going through this stressful time.  The only way to diagnose IP prenatal is to have a CVS (Chorionic Villus Sampling) or Amniocentesis.  
I think a CVS can be performed around 12 weeks & Amnio at 16 weeks.  Both tests involve risks, so research as much as you can before making a decision.  
I have had a CVS previously & can personally say that the procedure was over very quickly & caused me no discomfort what so ever.
There is definitely a way to test for IP in a fetus.  Contact David Nelson, PhD at Baylor College of Medicine  Tel:  713 798-4787  Or

Medical Genetics Laboratories •
Baylor College of Medicine • 2450 Holcombe, Houston, Texas 77021-2024
Grand Blvd.  • 713-798-6555 • 1-800-411-GENE (4363)
Fax: 713-798-6584  Website: www.bcmgeneticlabs.org

If you have any aditional questions please call me.
Susanne Emmerich
Exec. Dir. IPIF
212 452-1231

Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions