IP and hypothyroidism in 16 year old. Any correlation?

My daughter stopped menstrating, for about 4 years now. Found that she is hypothyroid. Doctors we have seen do not know anything about IP and I think kind of afraid. One pediatric gynocologist sent us home with a subscription for expensive soy bars? Here in Nj. Any suggestions?
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I am 45 and have hypothyroidism (graves disease).  My period are so irregular I never know when I will have one.  She need to go to a endocrine metabolism Dr. to see about this issue and you may have already done this.  There is a med I took to regulate my periods called norethindrone 5 mg.  As for th IP I dont know anything.  Im sorry but I hope she can try the other and get herself regulated.  They will explain how to take it
Helpful - 0
I have a daughter with IP and I don't believve that there is a correlation.  I would suggest finding out if she has PCOS.  Polocystic olvarian syndrome.  
Helpful - 0
My daughter is seven and was diagnosed with IP a week after her birth. After experiencing growth issues (she is only 37lbs) we switched pediatricians who through blood testing also discovered she has hypothyroidism. I have done some research on whether these two could be related . I know they are both x- linked disorders. Hypothyroidism is found in the x-chromosome in the FOX3P gene and IP is found in th NEMO gene of the x-chromosome. Im no sort of expert (but I have found when it comes to IP most DR's know less about it then I do) even though I have not found any direct research showing a correlation between the two they both are linked to a defect in the X chromosome. I am interested in the answer to this question as well. Please post if you find any answers.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Incontinentia Pigmenti Community

Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions