Are Those Symptoms Of Stomach Infection?

I recently caught a flu about 3 weeks ago and I took some painkillers for that. After a few days later, I had a really bad stomach pain in the morning, with the feeling of wanting to vomit and the stool turned dark. So, I stopped taking the medicine and I thought the flu has already gone away. After that I didn't really have enough rest properly and have not been eating well. Also, I consistently have the loss of appetite and discomfort in the stomach. And now, 3 weeks later, the discomfort is worse and I think I also have a fever again. It's worse when I go to bed at night, I sweat a lot and feel like I want to vomit. So I went to see a doctor and he suggested it could be some sort of stomach infection and that might also be the reason why I have fever again. I will have to get some tests done, but I need to wait like a week for all those to come back.

In the mean time, I just would like to know if there's anyone else out there with the same experience and how they dealt with the situation.

Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
COMMUNITY LEADER
You could have a bacteria called Helicobacter pylori, which causes a stomach ulcer and possible bleeding. Were your stools black? Have you been to a hospital or taken antibiotics before this happened? Do you have diarrhea? It sounds like an ulcer. If the test comes back positive they will treat you will several antibiotics and possibly bismuth sulfite. As for the flu symptoms, plus the stomach pain it is possible that you had a virus if you had diarrhea?  Hard to know without all the information and test results.
Helpful - 0
I don't have a diarrhoea. It was just a discomfort in the stomach(always feel like full although I haven't eaten anything) and want to vomit. The stool was dark when I was taking the medicine for my initial flu, but I stopped taking it after 3 days and the stool returned to normal after a couple of days. I just went to see a doctor at walk-in clinic and thats what she said as well. She referred me back to the GP to do a stool test, which I will do tomorrow.

But the only thing that I can't understand is the fever(just a mild, around 37') and sweatings at night.
Helpful - 0
COMMUNITY LEADER
Hi andy7890,
well 37 degrees is normal. The night sweats may be a fever that spikes and goes down to normal  or not. It could be ulcer or reflux. Also, norovirus can give you similar symptoms without diarrhea. It only lasts a short time and goes away on its own. If it persists then I would persue it. Did you eat out recently? Usually, you get norovirus usually as a foodborne illness.Most other bacteria that would cause these symptoms would give you diarrhoea but it is possible you got a short lived bacterial food poisoning that you could get at home too. Let me know how it goes.Most of these also go away on their own (self limiting).
mkh9
Helpful - 0
Since you mentioned about eating out, it came to my mind what might be the reason. I am a student living away from home, so I basically live on takeaways and junk food. It was fine before may be because I have enough resistant(I haven't had serious illness in the last 3 years). Then, while I had a flu 3 weeks ago and it might not be cured completely(since I had to stop taking medicine due to the side effect). After that, I had a few takeaway food again. Then, I had this fever and discomfort in the stomach together with the feeling of wanting to throw up. So, yeah I think I must have caught some kind of bacteria infection during that time and that might probably be the reason for the fever. I'll go and get the stool test just to make sure. Thanks for your help.
Helpful - 0
COMMUNITY LEADER
I think it may be a norovirus but it could be a bacterial as well. Best to follow it up since you are still having symptoms. Norovorus is easy to transmit and a very common food borne illness. Staph food poisoning is as well.
hope you feel better soon. Let me know if they figure out the culprit.Try to stay hydrated as much as you can and if you can eat a banana or gatoraide they have potassium.
take care,
Mkh9
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Infectious Diseases Community