Aa
A
A
A
Close
Infectious Diseases Community
1.81k Members

Do I have any risk of catching rabies?

Recently I was reading some articles about rabies and thought of a small incident. I live in California. About three weeks ago, one evening, as I walked out of the gate of the complex I live in, I felt the gate knob was wet. It was dark and I didn’t check what the liquid was. Then I got into a taxi. A few minutes later I scratched my neck and might have broken some small scabs on it (there were some itchy rashes on that area of skin, I scratched it a lot and it bled a little bit thus the small scabs). Now although I know I'm being paranoid but still keep worrying about the possibility that the liquid could have rabies virus (for example, it could contain saliva of a rabid animal). So in this scenario, I touched some unknown liquid and then touched some small cut on my skin, do I have any risk of catching rabies?
1 Responses
1415174 tn?1453243103
COMMUNITY LEADER
Sorry I just saw this post wasn't answered. No you don't have any exposure to rabies. At least there is no reason to think so. I always wash my hands or a wound if it comes in contact with a door knob or place outside the house. Because really anyone could have something on their hands. But by now if you haven't gotten an infection (bacterial for example) in it you would fine.

mkh9
Have an Answer?
Top Infectious Diseases Answerers
1415174 tn?1453243103
CA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Can HIV be transmitted through this sexual activity? Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia answers this commonly-asked question.
A breakthrough study discovers how to reduce risk of HIV transmission by 95 percent.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
Before your drop a dime at the pharmacy, find out if these popular cold and flu home remedies are a wonder or a waste
Fend off colds and the flu with these disease-fighting foods