Infectious Diseases Community

For infectious mononucleosis (mono), what were the symptoms and signs you experie...

...nced? - What Are the Signs and Symptoms of Infectious Mononucleosis?The most common symptoms of mononucleosis are fever, sore throat, swollen lymph nodes, and fatigue. Symptoms usually develop between four to six weeks after exposure to the EBV. Other signs and symptoms of mononucleosis may include the following:headache,rash,malaise,loss of appetite,jaundice,tonsillitis (a white film may cover the tonsils),body aches,enlarged spleen and/or liver,abdominal pain, anddifficulty breathing.In younger children, the symptoms may be more subtle and may additionally include irritability and poor feeding.
I found out I had mono about 2 months ago. I've always slept a lot like any normal 18 year old but I had been getting so tired I would sleep for 12 hours and still be exhausted when I woke up. One morning I woke up to the worst sore throat I have ever had and very swollen glands in my neck. I went to my doctor a few days later and she immediately sent me to an ear nose and throat doctor because my tonsils were so swollen they were almost closing my throat. The ENT doctor took one look and said it was mono. I was put on steroids amoxicillin and pain medication. It hurt too much to swallow my own spit let alone any meds and all I could do was basically drool to avoid swallowing. I was brought to the emergency room. I was down to 97 pounds with no strength or energy left. Out of school and work for a month. Now 2 months later I have relapsed and am very sick again. All of the same symptoms are back and worse. Tonsils will be coming out but that won't get rid of the mono. Aches and pains and swollen glands and UTI are back. This has been the worst illness I've experienced ever. I pray it goes away but I know that won't be happening anytime soon.
I am now 56, but I became ill with mono when I was 28 years old.  My symptoms of severe sore throat, enlarged lymph nodes, and muscle and joint pain persisted for 3 months.  After 3 months, I developed an enlargement of the liver, so my doctor gave my Cortizone, which I responded favorable to.  In hindsight, I believe my fibromyalgia began one month after I got over mono.  The muscle pain and deep tissue knots are something I live with every day.
I got strep throat at the end of May and I was given antibiotics. Three days later, it was so much worse that when I swallowed the water came out of my nose my throat was so closed up, I was admitted to hospital and given steroids, morphine and serious antibiotics. 5 days after antibiotics I developed another sore throat. Testing was positive for glandular fever. I have since been on antibiotics several times for throat infections and they keep coming back. Now am on permanent antibiotics until I see an ENT specialist at end of October. Meanwhile, I do not have sore throat but all lymph nodes are swollen tender and very painful especially one side of neck and also groin area. The fatigue is even worse and I can never get enough sleep. Even if I sleep 10 hours a night, I'm still exhausted. I have to nap for couple of hours before picking up kids and an hour later, my legs and arms are so weak from standing and just doing things that I have to rest again. I am on antidepressants also now.
Before I was diagnosed with mono, I had fatigue, headaches for a short period of time and rash(itch).
My 10 year old daughter was diagnosed with mono just last week.  She had been sick for about 3 weeks previously.  One morning she was so weak that she passed out in the shower.  I took her to the doctor and insisted blood tests be run.  They were run for everything but mono.  A week later when she could hardly swallow, eat, or talk, I took her to the doctor again and this time they ran the test for mono, which back as acute positive.  She has missed a lot of school and still tires easily, but at least we finally know why.
Christmas day of 09, I woke up ill with a severe sore throat, fever and what I thought was flu type symptoms. I went to the doctors the next day and was diagnosed with strep throat. Immediately I was put on an antibiotic for 10 days. I started to feel better however about a week later my throat and neck began to hurt. I thought it was the strep coming back and made another doctors appointment two weeks later. They ran some test and told me I had mono. I never would have thought I could get something like this. It is very painful for me and I am tired all the time.
Two weeks ago I was admitted into the hospital with severe chills, high temperature and weakness.  They diagnosed me with acute mononucleosis, c. diff, MRSA and a urinary tract infection.  I was very sick and had no appetite.  I stayed in the hospital for 5 days with antibiotics and fluids dripping into my veins.  I have been home now for a week and now have enlarged lymph nodes in my neck and head, plus my throat is swelling shut.  I can barely swallow water and pills.  I'm afraid I will choke on my food so am I am not eating.
Just before Christmas I went to the doctor and found out that I have mono. I had gone to 4 doctors and all said I was depressed, etc. Finally had a mono spot done and bam! Mono. My doctor did not really tell me anything other than her nurse calling with the results. I still feel horrible very tired, headaches, and now I am getting horrible pains just beneath my rib cage. I am a 58 yr old grandmother who got Mono. No clue on how - that's what bothers me. But I guess I will have to pursue this on my own because the doctor did not give me any information.
I was so tired, rather exhausted that I could not get out of bed.  I really thought my fibromyalgia was flaring up.  I slept all day and night and still felt just as exhausted the next day.  The doctor did a monospot test and it was positive.  I also had an ultrasound which showed my spleen was somewhat enlarged.  I am to be out of work for about a month.  It takes all of my energy to get up and shower. I am trying to "hang in there" but this sickness is kicking my butt"! I think this is a relapse from when I was sick in December.  The doctor thought it was the flu even though it didn't show up as the flu. I felt just like this.  I got really stressed and overtired in January and I think it just jumped back on me but worse this time!
I am writing this to offer encouragement to anyone suffering from mono for longer than normal. I am a 52-year-old male. I came down with a sore throat and fever about 2 years ago. At first I had a great deal of fatigue but it slowly improved over the course of the year. During that time I did not rest or take care of myself. Just when I thought it was over (1 year later) WHAM! My lymph nodes got painful, malaise, fatigue, head and ear pain with tinnitus, and an overall "swollen" head feeling hit me hard. I went back to my doctor and checked positive for EBV & CMV. Apparently, I had one or both for some time and just ran myself down, not allowing my body time and rest to heal. My primary care physician also consulted with a hematologist to corroborate his diagnosis.  I am slowly recovering as I have dug a huge hole for myself. Mono can affect you for much longer than the "textbooks" say depending on a lot of variables. My symptoms are slowly improving; they are changing like the hands of a clock, but getting a little better every week. If this describes you, don't lose your faith. Do what your doctor tells you. You WILL get better. It takes rest, low stress, plenty of fluids and most of all, time and patience.
I'm a female, and was 39 when I got mono. It was diagnosed with mono after-the-fact, and it's the sickest I've ever been. I didn't have the severely sore throat, but had a swollen throat, airway and vocal cords with a crazy amount of sinus drainage. It felt as if I couldn't swallow due to an obstruction, and I would stop breathing at night.  I couldn't eat, resorting only to liquids for a couple of months.  The sinus drainage was choking at times.  I was treated for sinus infections and asthmatic reactions several times during this period, and tested for allergies (I showed positive to all but 2 allergans - later determined this was because of the undiagnosed mono - today I have few allergies).  Each doctor kept treating the symptoms they were familiar with, with long-term oral and inhaled steroids, antibiotics, and rest. I had several of them tell me "it's only stress, and you're imagining the symptoms."  In total, I was down for over 3 months, and could barely leave the house.  I had to wear a surgical mask when I walked outside because the allergens would cause breathing problems. It took several months for the lymph nodes around my throat to go down. I was not tested for EBV at all during that period, but I had been tested a year earlier in late 2006 -- EBV was negative at that time.  In 2009 my tests show I've been positive for EBV, so I assume it was during the period I describe above. Two years later my immune system hasn't recovered, and I'm starting weekly gamma globulin infusions to help.
Hi, I'm Jessica. I was diagnosed with the disease mono about 4 months ago. It all started with really swollen neck glands, and the pain in my throat would not go away. It was so bad, I was crying. And the next morning I went to the ER. The doctor did not know what was wrong with me, so he took 3 tubes of blood for testing. Four days later, I found out I had mono, and strep throat. I still have very bad pain, all over my stomach. It's so bad that I had to go for an ultrasound, but it turns out my spleen is swollen, so I can't do any sports for three months.
I am a 30 year old male and I just got diagnosed with mono 2 days ago. I thought this was just something teenagers contracted from kissing, people always made jokes about it in high school but it is no laughing matter. I unfortunately did not get it from kissing, I have no idea how I contracted it. The symptoms were going on for about a month and I thought that I just had a stubborn flu but then I woke up one morning to weak to get out of bed and decided to go to the ER where I was diagnosed. The sore throats have been ridiculous, I can barely eat because of the abdominal discomfort, and the fatigue is the worst I have EVER felt in my life. I get night sweats and chills from the on-again off-again fever. I can sympathize with anyone who has caught this nasty bug as an adult. Hopefully things will get easier.
Hello I'm a 33 year old female been ill for 10 months now. The illness first began with abdominal pain meaning stomach and bowels, also have pain under left rib cage and right rib cage, blurry vision at times, extreme fatigue, sore throat, muscle aches, and joint pains, sweats, rashes, and on again off again, have no appetite. I have lost 50 pounds. My hair is thinning and everything that comes around, I catch. I was exposed to mono when I first got ill. These symptoms are still going on. Sometimes feel like I'm getting better and the symptoms return. This is the worst I've ever been sick.
I had mono for about a month, and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. It started out feeling like a sore throat and I was coughing and sneezing like crazy. I was very tired and I never wanted to do anything.  I stayed home and rested for about three weeks, and my symptoms went away, but I still have fatigue and I'm very weak. After you have it, your immune system is very weak for about six months, so you have to be very careful about who you're around. Just take it easy and soon enough you will feel a lot better.
I caught mono at 23. I am now 64 and I just had my gall bladder and kidney stone removed. I have had stomach problems for 40 years. I have been hospitalized five times with jaundice-like fever. I get sweats every night. I'm very tired and if I do anything, I have to take a nap afterwards. I can't figure out why it's so hard to get information on the side effects of this disease.
About a week before I was diagnosed, I felt an enlarged gland in my neck, but I wasn't too concerned. I was feeling really depressed and tired, but I thought it was due to stress since I'm in school. About two days later, I woke up with swollen eyelids and a swollen face. I went to the doctor who told me I had either tonsillitis or mono. The final result was mono. About two days after my diagnosis, I started to feel severe symptoms. I had a very sore throat, dry mouth and pain in the neck. I am also experiencing insomnia and depression. Generally, no one understands how I feel, so it's good to read about other's experiences here. Thank you.
I«m 38 years old. I was diagnosed with mono about 2 weeks ago though I had symptoms for one month before that. My doctor told me that I was also exhausted. My symptoms were swollen lymph nodes in my groin and on one side of my neck, plus one swollen node under my chin. I had fever and bad headaches for about 3 days and general malaise for two weeks. I was depressed, my eyes were more sensitive to the light and I had a little cough but no sore throat at all. I was relieved when my doctor told me that mono is not serious and very common. Now the nodes are going down very well but I have funny sensations in my neck sometimes. I suffer patchy spells of extreme tiredness which I recognize as not normal because I«m very fit and active. I get shivers if I«m in an air conditioned room when other people are fine. Occasionally I feel nauseous after eating. A medical student friend tells me that you can get mono from drinking from a dirty glass, or even a dentist!! I feel I«m getting better and I eat tons of fish, salads and fruit as always, but my recovery is much slower than I expected. I«m glad to read that it«s ok not to be 100% fit after 6 weeks because I started to worry. Your page has helped.
My fever started in June and has not gone away. I have no energy and try to stay out of bed just to keep myself going.  Have no appetite and have lost pounds.  I am 72.  Doc said it is Mono.
My mono started with a severe headache and flu-like symptoms. The glands in my neck were very swollen and I had a nasty rash on one arm. Two months later, the glands in my neck are still visible and I'm still tired. I feel very washed out, but I do feel a lot better.
I am a 56 year old female with auto immune disease and I was diagnosed with Mono about 1 month ago. I am having all the symptoms but the most difficult is the acute anxiety attacks and the fatigue. My eyes were very yellow that's what brought me to the doctors and my urine was very dark we thought at first it was my liver. I have no idea how I contacted this but it is worst than Dermatomyositis that I have.
I am 47 with Mono/Epstein Barr Virus.  I have run a low grade fever for almost 2 months now.  I am tired and ache all over.  Other symptoms have been stomach pain, swollen adenoids, lower back pain, brain fog, blurry vision, dry mouth, sleepy, neck and shoulder pain.  I have been off from work for the duration of the virus and now plan to return to work in a couple weeks better or not.  Tired of being sick but hope I can pull off my 12 hour shifts. Infectious Disease doc said it should last 1-2 months and I'm counting on it.
Mono/Epstein Barr -- I'm a 55 year old, active and fit female. Thought I was battling a flu bug on and off for a couple weeks. Fever, sweats, chills, loss of appetite, fuzzy thought process, body aches, fatigue. One day couldn't get out of bed to save my life. Finally went to my doctor. Mono? Seriously at my age? Jokes abound of course, but if you've had this you know it's no laughing matter. I have never been so miserable and if you have never had it I hope you never get the experience. I have always thought of myself as a fighter. This has shown me that I am pretty much a wussy cry baby! Finally after two weeks feeling half way human and finally awake more than not, but still have a minimum 2 week recovery.
I'm 64, was shocked that my mono came back--hadn't had it since I was 17! My main symptoms are exhaustion and swollen glands, but it seems to have effected my immune system. Each time I thought I was finally over the mono, I was knocked down by other illnesses--diverticulitis last March (which put me in the hospital for 5 days on heavy i.v. antibiotics, then more for 10 more days after my release)and then bronchitis this last week (10 more days on antibiotics!) My doc says "this too shall pass" but it's SO FRUSTRATING! I used to think of myself as a healthy youthful energetic person in great shape. Now I can't imagine working out at the gym. I'm in bed by 9 each night, sleeping 10-11 hours, then feeling like a nap mid-day! It's depressing!