A
A
Close
Infectious Diseases Community
1.8k Members
11623235 tn?1419917466

Please help diagnose this unknown disease

My BIL presents with the following:

(Note: He is a forester and has exposure to pesticides, spiders, mold and trees.)

Pain started in the left inner thigh,
moved up and around abdomen and back.Level 10
Left leg tingling and hurts to touch lightly.
A syrinx in the spine
Lesions on the lower lumbar region on the spine.
High level of white blood cells in spinal tap fluid but cells look normal.
Dc. Just said it looked like transverse myelitis
But that does not tell us what the lesions are.
They are trying to avoid doing a biopsy due to the risk.
1 Responses
1415174 tn?1453246703
COMMUNITY LEADER
Hello, and so sorry your brother is having so much pain. We are not doctors on here but I'll try to give you a little advice if possible. I am a microbiologist.

So, does he have a high fever? Did they do a culture or smear (slide) of the spinal fluid when they did the spinal tap? Do you see any bites from a spider or any sores? Did it come on all of a sudden?

Transverse myelitis could be MS.  Did he get an injury?
He should get an MRI to rule out MS.

But infections can cause this and immune disorders too. That is why you need to get to the root of the problem.

mkh9

Have an Answer?
Top Infectious Diseases Answerers
1415174 tn?1453246703
CA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Can HIV be transmitted through this sexual activity? Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia answers this commonly-asked question.
A breakthrough study discovers how to reduce risk of HIV transmission by 95 percent.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
Before your drop a dime at the pharmacy, find out if these popular cold and flu home remedies are a wonder or a waste
Fend off colds and the flu with these disease-fighting foods