Infectious Diseases Community

Rabies exposure

Urgent, i was scratch today by a dog in a shelter ( I volunteer there), and then the dog started playing with the hand where the scratch was , bittin the area but not hard, living in my sking and red dot and a large scratch also red. sadly the dog do NOT have rabies shot, he was in the streets and they found him and put him in the shelter for adoption like 5 weeks ago. The people in the dog shelter decided not to put him in observation or quarentine , they send me home. I need to know if is necesary for me to have the rebies shots, im very worry and scare about all this situation, please HELP!
COMMUNITY LEADER
Hi, sorry this happened to you. If you got saliva from the dog into an open cut  such as the cut had any blood in it or bleeding, I would get the vaccine.  Alternatively, they would have to either quarantine the dog, or euthenize it to test it for rabies. So, I would see a doctor right away since they do not be want to quarantine.