Infectious Diseases Community

What are the symptoms and signs of your finger infection?

Each of the main finger infections has specific signs and symptoms that make identification unique and may cause confusion if not properly evaluated.Paronychia: Symptoms and signs of paronychia include redness and swelling of the area next to the fingernail. A visible collection of pus may be seen under the skin and nail plate. This fluid may be leaking out of the wound. The area will be tender and painful to the touch. The drainage from the area is usually a cloudy white-yellow color.Felon: Symptoms of a felon include a swollen and painful fingertip. The swelling usually develops over several days and is located in the pad area of the fingertip. The area will have a throbbing pain and be painful to the touch. The area is usually red, and a visible collection of pus may be seen under the skin. The swollen area may have a portion that feels soft as if it contains fluid. As the swelling continues, the area may become tense or hard to the touch.Herpetic whitlow: Symptoms of herpetic whitlow include redness and tenderness of the fingertip area. A burning or itching sensation may be present in the area. There may be mild swelling but not as extensive as in the felon. There may be a single or many open wounds in the area affected. These open wounds often occur in clusters after the formation of a small blister-like lesion. The fluid in these lesions is usually clear in appearance but may be slightly cloudy. The affected individual may also have a low-grade fever and have swollen and tender lymph nodes in the area.Cellulitis: Symptoms of cellulitis include skin area redness and warmth to the touch. The area may be slightly swollen and tender. This is usually a superficial infection so the deep structures should not be involved. The motion of the fingers and hand should not be difficult or painful. If painful or difficult, this may indicate a deep space infection of some type.Infectious flexor tenosynovitis: Four major signs often are found with infectious flexor tenosynovitis. These signs are called Kanavel cardinal signs. All four signs may not be present at first or all at once.First is tenderness over the flexor or palm side of the finger. This pain is found over the tendons in the finger.Second is uniform swelling of the finger.Third is pain on extending or straightening of the finger.Fourth, the finger will be held in a slightly flexed or partially bent position.Deep space infections: The deep space infection that arises in the web space of the fingers is also called a collar button abscess. Symptoms and signs of deep space infections include pain and swelling in the space between the fingers. The area may also be red and warm to the touch. As the abscess becomes larger, the fingers will be slightly spread apart by the increasing pressure. The central area may have a soft spot that represents a collection of pus under the skin.
I have had this problem of infection with my fingernails for months, and it produces no pus.
This is not a recommendation. Weigh your options carefully. When I saw the doctor for my finger infection I was prescribed an antiviral medicine. I later learned that I had a herpetic whitlow. For two months I thought it was a skin irritation. In any event, the medication was intolerable, complete poison. I put crushed garlic over the infection, wrapped in gauze tape for as long as tolerable, and then followed up with warm saline soaks.
The other day I was doing a quick job of cutting some 1/2 inch strips of plywood on my table saw when, without thinking I reached down with my left hand and pushed the wood up against the guide while pushing it forward with a push stick in my right hand. It was only a second and I could feel the saw blade on my table saw rubbing my thumb and forefinger. Needless to say that I cut the pad of my left thumb off and split the nail on my forefinger and tore a little meat off the end. After a few days of keeping the finger and thumb covered and dressed with triple antibiotic as well as taking oral antibiotics the thumb has become sore and is oozing yellow stuff. I keep the bandages changed twice a day but the yellow stuff persists.
My finger infection is making me want to puke. I get massive headaches and throbbing pain. But I am called a hypochondriac, so I don't want to go to the emergency room. But I'm in pain and I'm in tears.
Recently I had cleaned the floor of my house using phenyl solution. I had done it when my maid was on leave. I squeezed the mop after each wipe of floor. After 3 days my both hands started with itching and it was relieved. Again after 2 days I noticed that my left hand ring finger was swollen, and there was redness, itching, difficulty to bend, and even burning sensation was difficult to tolerate. I think it is some finger infection. When I applied a moisturizer I felt some sort of comfort.
I have had this finger infection for at least six months and been treated with several medications. The skin looks callused, it then breaks open into a little sore that looks like a small cat scratch. Water seems to make it worse. It shows mainly on the top half of my fingers but lately I noticed a couple on the top of my hands, these were much easier to get rid of.
The symptoms of my finger infection are swollen, hot and painful finger with redness at the side of the middle finger.