Infectious Diseases Community

What were the symptoms of your epiglottitis?

When epiglottitis strikes, it usually occurs quickly and its progression may range from just a few hours to a few days. The most common signs and symptoms include      sore throat,     muffling or changes in the voice,   difficulty speaking,     fever,       difficulty swallowing,     fast heart rate, and  difficulty in breathing.   A person with acute epiglottitis usually looks very ill. People with epiglottitis may appear restless and breathing with their neck, chest wall, and upper belly muscles. While they may be taking in less air with each breath, they  may still manifest the high-pitched whistling sound, called inspiratory stridor. Both adults and children may have bluish discoloration of their skin from lack of oxygen after the airway becomes blocked.Epiglottitis  signs and symptoms in adults includetrouble breathing (respiratory distress),drooling,leaning forward to breathe,taking rapid shallow breaths,"pulling in" of muscles in the neck or between the ribs with breathing (retractions),  high-pitched whistling sound when breathing (stridor),   noisy breathing,  difficulty catching your breath,  sore throat,  fever,  raspy voice, and  trouble speaking.  Signs and symptoms of epiglottitis in children In children, symptoms of epiglottitis are similar. Typically, a child who comes to the hospital with epiglottitis has a history of fever, difficulty talking, irritability, and problems swallowing for several hours. The child often sits forward and drools. Children may sit in a "sniffing position" with the body leaning forward and the head and nose tilted forward and upward as though they are sniffing a good smelling pie.Epiglottitis signs and symptoms in children include   fever with chills,  high-pitched whistling sound when breathing (stridor),  difficulty breathing,  difficulty swallowing,   drooling,  refusing to eat,  muffled or hoarse voice,  scratchy and sore throat  anxiety or restlessness  symptoms reduced when leaning forward  and less commonly  cough, and  ear pain.  In infants younger than one year, signs and symptoms such as fever, drooling, and upright posturing may all be absent. The infant may have a cough and a history of an upper respiratory infection. It is very difficult to know if an infant has epiglottitis.In contrast, adolescents and adults have a more generally ill appearance with sore throat as the main complaint along with fever, difficulty breathing, drooling, and stridor (noise with breathing).
I had a SEVERE sore throat around the tonsil area with a very sharp pin-like stabbing pain when swallowing. I also had a feeling of swallowing a small ball and having it stuck at the gag-reflex part of the throat. It feels like the little ball is stuck.
My mother has been receiving botox shots in her vocal chords for about 8 years and now has a problem with her epiglottis. Any correlation between the two?
I am a 74. I had a slight sore throat at bed time. I awoke and felt I was slightly choking. My husband took me to Emergency at local hospital and I walked in and was okay for while they took my vitals. I then was asked to walk for chest X-ray and I had gone about 12 paces when I said "I can't ..." I meant to tell them I couldn't breathe but collapsed and had an intubation. Three months later my voice is still not right. It was an incredibly quick onset.
severe sore throat.  Hurt to swalllow water.
I'm 47 and just had a very close call with epiglottitis three weeks ago. It started with a sore throat.  I woke in the middle of the night and was choking.  My husband woke to find me fighting to get air. I was taken to the hospital and put in ICU. They had not seen a case of Epiglottitis but did a great job getting me through it. I'm still taking meds and have been back in the hospital for a second onset. My voice will get very weak if I talk too much or try to sing.  I still feel there is swelling in my lower throat. We still do not know the cause of the Epiglottitis.
My onset of Epiglottitis, started with the feeling of a sore throat, which lead to difficulty swallowing, and a few hours later difficulty breathing and speaking. By the time my husband drove me to ER, I started drooling and choking. The ER Physician took an x-ray of the soft tissues of the neck and the film revealed epiglottitis. I am most Thankful for My husband prompt attention of taking me to the ER and the physician for properly diagnosing and treating my symptoms. The smallest things could lead to a serious or fatal incident. Seeking medical attention for small things such as a "sore throat" seems huge to me now, whereas before I would try and treat myself with OTC medication...Not Anymore!!!
I have had a nagging sore throat that seems to radiate from the back right of my mouth beyond the base of my tongue. It is very lumpy back there. I also have some painful indentations on the same side of my tongue.  They do not seem to be "sores," per se, but they are sore.  When I explored where the pain seemed to originate I made it all the way to the very back, right side base of the tongue.  I recently saw my doctor for other things and mentioned the ache across my face to my ear and on swallowing.  She found no enlargement of lymph nodes though my neck feels a bit stiff again on that right side.  I had dental work and asked if my face-earache could be from a tooth infection.  I'm a little worried as I found a large flap back there.  Because it doesn't cover the whole back area I wasn't sure if it is my epiglottis. The article was informative yet not helpful.  I don't have any trouble breathing but have some difficulty swallowing, no high fever.
fever,  drooling  change of voice  symptoms of upper respiratory infection,
The only symptom I had was extreme pain swallowing.  I had no fever or problems breathing, but I couldn't drink or eat anything because of the pain.  I dreaded having to swallow.  I went first to the urgent care where they did a strep test which came up negative.  The next day I went to an ENT who put a scope up my nose to get to my throat and he immediately diagnosed epiglottitis.  Steroids helped the swelling immensely.  I needed no hospitalization.  I had never head of this before.
For me whe whole process lasted about 3 days from onset to hospitalization. It started with some pain on a side of my throat and a swollen sore lymph node at the top of my throat. I was worried about strep (since I was going on vacation in a couple days) so I went to my primary care doc. I tested negative for strep so she sent me on my way and we assumed it was viral. The next day I was much worse. the key new symptom was that *it felt like something was stuck in my throat that I couldn't swallow. I went to the ER and they just glanced at my tonsels and gave me a z-pack of antibiotics. Luckily, when I was so sick the next day (literally couldnt swallow my own spit, weird whispery voice, worse fever and nausea) my mom somehow got me into a booked ENT. When he grabbed my tounge and looked way down there, he backed up quickly with surprise and said I needed to be admitted. A night of IV steroids and antibiotics (plus a week of oral meds) and I was back to normal (minus the 10lb weight loss). It was scary that it took 3 professionals to diagnose it.
my son has got a cough like sumthing is stuck in his throat and sometimes its like hes choking been doctors he can see his epiglottitis but isnt inlammed just said give him nurofen and see how he goes
please help me my son aged 40 years has severe cerebral palsy and how is having difficulty whilst eating with his epiglottitis notfunctioning properly.  He must be kept upright in his wheelchair as much as possibe expecialy when feeding (which I have todo) he can manage small cut up pieces of most foods but occassionaly has to have a big cough (where the mucas has formed) to clear his throat this happens during feeding.  He has excellenthealth and food is his one joy in life, can you help pease.  thank you looking forward to your reply Julie Posford (mother of Richard)
I had a sore throat, extremely painful earache, with pressure, fever, body aches, difficulty swallowing, difficulty breathing while lying down, and drooling. I was unable to swallow and I was given pain meds and antibiotics, and eventually an emergency tracheotomy
Take warning with this! I had it felt like strep throat on one side and moved rapidly the following day to other side of my throat. Fortunately I had a great EMS team and hospital. Very scary not being able to breath, and being that close to death. I spent 3 days in an ICU, never did I think that it would happen to me. I am 43 year old healthy male, I quit smoking, I have a great reason.
my husband had brain surgury they thought it was brain bleed when they went in found out it was a arachnoid cysts they drain some came home from hospital went back to dr for check up had slurred speech and could not swallow neuro surgeon said nothing he did went to family dr he ordered a cookie swallow test failed so dr put in feed tube to him nutrion to his body did speech test three weeks another cookie swallow test failed again we just want to know what has happened and have no answers yet due to see neurolgist in jan but dr releasing him back to work dec we are at our wits end thought maybe you could answer if you know why epigglottis is not working canit be cranial nerve or just needs time to heal
Adult male age 47. Started with soar throat about  1130am after eating a hamburger.Did'nt think much of it, as time went on say about 2pm, Started to notice voice changes. Around 4pm voice became very hi pitched, Diffaculty breathing. 5pm started fealing sick, Breathing became very difficult, Voice was unaparent. Whent to E.R Deaconess Gateway Hospital. Docter examined me, Called for E.N.T specialist. Dr Wauly had me in surgury by 8pm. Applied tube, Saved Life. Thank God and the Staff at Deaconess Hospital. J.M
I was diagnosed with supraepiglottitis after getting off a cruise ship. It started with a cough then the last 3 days of the cruise I had fever, sore throat, muffled voice, and one day of vomiting. I thought I had strep. I started on antibiotics but kept getting worse. I went to and ENT specialist and he put a scope down my nose and diagnosed me with epiglottitis. I've never heard of it. The doctor put me on steroids and amoxicillin for almost two weeks. Recently my ear and jaw started hurting and now I'm on new antibiotics.  It's been three weeks and I'm still dealing with it. I still feel an obstruction in my throat. It's scary to think this could be fatal.
I experienced stinging feelings in the back of my throat, which I thought it was merely something happening, perhaps, with my tonsils. Over a period of nearly three days, my throat had been swelling as was quite apparent inside and out.  On the third day, I experienced a sudden blockage of my windpipe resulting in a severe inability to breathe normally.  I then called 911 and received attention within minutes and an ambulance transported me to our local hospital. I received an emergency tracheotomy in that facility allowing me to then breathe.  I was in our hospital for 8 days recovering, and am still weak and experience very little appetite and I have lost about 15% of my body weight. Epiglottitis is finally the diagnosis, but I've researched my situation and the illness herein described also points to respiratory diphtheria being also quite rare.  However, since I had not looked into my throat as it continued to swell, I could not see if a "gray" coating existed at the back of the throat thereby indicating said diphtheria possibility; however, something suddenly had blocked my throat as stated above.
I had a scratchy throat. A few hours later my throat started to swell. I went to the ER and I could not lie on the CT scan table because my airway closed. I ended up intubated and unconscious for seven days. In the hospital another three days. I am having physical therapy and speech therapy. It was a horrible experience.
I am 43. I had epiglottitis a year ago with no prior symptoms. I woke up one morning with very swollen throat. I could hardly swallow. My husband took me to ER. I was given an X-ray and diagnosed with epiglottitis. I was put in ICU to be on the safe side in case of problems.
I am 43. I really wish someone could help me by answering some of my questions. I had epiglottitis 1 year ago and my throat never has felt the same. sometimes it still feels slightly swollen in the far back. sometimes hurts a little bit also gets scratchy or a burning sensation. My biggest trial now is I awake at night with extremely dry throat and mouth. Also throat feels  slightly swollen. I sleep with water beside my bed each night. This helps some. Is this normal for someone who's had epiglottitis? Could I be having side effects from being on steroids for 3 months? I have been getting more and more stressed about this. I'm so afraid of my throat swelling closed again. If you've had epiglottitis what is the possibility of getting it again?
I had knee surgery and all was well. Within a matter of hours I told the nurses my throat and jaw were really sore. The next time I woke up was 10 days later in ICU where I died for a few minutes as they couldn't get the tube down to help me breathe. I was intubated and if that didn't work they were going to do an emergency tracheotomy. If I get a sore throat now I start to panic.
I had never heard of epiglottitis until a few weeks ago. I had started getting a sore throat and within 1 day I was concerned enough to make an appointment. They tested for strep which came back negative and they concluded it to be a virus, sending me home. By day two I was so sore I couldn't eat or swallow anything and was a drooling mess. So after some insisting my family took me to the hospital and they once again sent me home saying it to be a virus. Later that same night it became difficult to breathe and the pain was unbearable. I was rushed to the hospital and they immediately took a CT scan of my neck diagnosing it as epiglottitis. I was hospitalized for a few days and so far the pain has decreased but the swelling is still clearly visible after two weeks.
I am a 25 year old female. I had epiglottitis this year in 2016. My symptoms of epiglottitis felt like a sore throat at first. Day one of the symptoms it honestly felt like a sore throat so I paid no attention to the symptoms. Day 2 went by and I was doing everything you were supposed to do when you have a sore throat; drinking hot tea with honey, gargling with salt water, and using cough drops. This just made my throat worse. So after drinking the hot tea, I felt like it was burning and hurting even more to swallow. It felt like a marble was stuck in my throat on my left side when swallowing each time. Around 10:00 pm I drove to an Urgent Care and they told me strep throat was negative and my tonsils were okay (since I have not had them removed). So they sent me home with hydrocodone for the pain that I explained to them in my throat that felt like a volcano. Day 3 I went to work still feeling the same symptoms just getting worse and worse so I made a doctor's appointment with my primary care physician (PCP). During the doctor's appointment I felt like a baby drooling everywhere and couldn't keep it in. He ordered a CT scan. I rushed to a CT specialist and he then ran out and told me that I have epiglottitis and to rush to the emergency room (ER) right away. I rushed to the ER and they put me on IV and antibiotics and kept me for 2 nights in ICU to monitor me. This experience was very frightening and I warn everyone, not to back down even if the professionals that we all look up to sends you home, always keep pushing for more test like how I did. When I was in the hospital I felt super weak and only could eat ice cream since the cold helped the swelling of my throat and burning sensation, and apple juice since cranberry, orange and pineapple juice burnt down my throat due to the acid that was in it. If I didn't go to my PCP that day, I probably wouldn't be here to tell you my experience and symptoms of epiglottitis.
2