Infectious Diseases Community

flying insect/bird/bat flew into my face- am I at risk for exposure?

Hope this isn't too silly of a question.  At 6:45pm (still daylight), I was standing at my front door fumbling with my keys when something large and brown smacked into my face then flew away.  It happened so fast I could not identify it.  Watched it fly away and realized that it was large (about 3 inches or so).  I am not sure why I thought of this, but by the way it flew I worried it could be a bat (live in a NYC suburb and have never seen one before but somehow this is what I thought).

The area above my upper lip feels sore (where this thing smacked into me) but I do not see any marks or redness.  Of course, I went online and read that a bite from a bat can be too small to detect.  I also read that rabies vaccinations can cost thousands of dollars and I do not have that much money.

I could go to urgent care tomorrow, but I am afraid they will think I am silly and crazy (I am not, just read too much on the internet.)

My questions:
- am I at risk for rabies exposure?
- this all happened so fast, but don't you think I would be able to know if it was actually a bat that flew in my face and bit me in daylight ?
- The area where this thing flew into my face feels weird and sore- my concern is that it wouldn't feel this way if it was just say a moth, so what else could it be?
- what do you think I should do? Should I be worried?

Thanks for any help you can offer- appreciate it.
Assuming it was a bat, first you need to clean the area with soap and water.  You can apply an ice pack to the are for any discomfort (20 min. on at least 6x/day for 48 hours).

Bats can be outside at the time of day you stated.  A moth of insect would not "smack" you in the face, however a small bird could (cardinals are out at that hour).  Bats often do not leave marks.

If you think it was a bat, then to be sure, you need to be evaluated and get the rabies vaccine to be on the safe side.  The shots do not hurt, but it is a series of injections to the arms.  Perhaps you can call around for a place to go that can work out a financial plan, but if you are going to do it (which I recommend), you need to do it ASAP/immediately.

Let us know how it goes. :-)
Thanks, Foogy.  I called the nurse online with my health insurance and she told me don't have any risk to rabies since there is no wound or mark.  She told me to not go to the ER because they would not do anything for me without a bite mark.  I don't feel comfortable with this so I plan to call my doctor first thing in the morning (her office was closed today).  Hopefully she will be more helpful.

I am worried and did not sleep at all last night.
Good for you for being proactive.  Like I said earlier, you don't often see marks with bat bites, so you are taking the right approach.  Keep us informed and let us know what happens.
whatever happened did you get rabies shots?
COMMUNITY LEADER
It looks like this incident happened last year. I just got this message today on my site. I hope that nothing happened regarding the incident. It does sound like a possible bat. They do come out at dusk. If you get a chance would you update us.
mkh9