what causes this

any idea what would cause esinophilic folliculitis?
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
COMMUNITY LEADER
First I will just answer your last statement. Yeah You should gravitate away from HIV as that been proven to be a dead end. The doctors will see your results and think you have anxiety which is true regarding HIV. But the rest is related to some type of neurologic thing going on. What exactly I don't know. You folliculitis is gone now? If so that is great. Regarding Herpes. It usually infects the outer lips like a cold sore. It doesn't cause the sore throat and encephalitis like you are talking about.  Have you seen an eye doctor? They can check for cataracts. Also, if you had gone swimming in any fresh water like a lake you can get some parasites that affect the eye and brain? If you have staph in your nose it is not likely to cause your other symptoms. So are you going back to the neurologist?
They seem to have to do their own testing just let them do their thing. Forget about the STD''s I don't think these are causing your symptoms as you tested negative for everything. So you have to move forward. Lets see if the neurologist can come up with anything. If he doesn't see anything wrong I would go to an infectious disease specialist. If you have already I would see another one. Don't go into any of the STD's and just mention your symptoms. You can ask about EBV see if that is a possibility or what is causing your symptoms. But first I would stick with the neurologist since your symptoms are neurological. You may want to see if they will do an MRI of the brain and/or spinal area.
Did your son ever have the eosinophilic folliculitis or just you? I am wondering if that dermatologist misdiagnosed your folliculitis as eosinophilic folliculitis.  Did she say why you had eosinophilic type?
mkh9
Helpful - 0
i had the pa-c or whatever that is call me this morning from the dermatologists office .she said to her it was just reguklar folliculitis .not due to any infection .she said sometimes it just happens for no reason.i told her it happened after contact with someone and i am having sinusitis and neurological issues loss of sight hearing and was wondering if this could at least cause the sinusitis.so i suggested i come back in so she could take another look .when she transferred me to the front desk she told them she was going to have me see the dr this time .so maybe i can get some results out of him .ive been using my sinus wash for 3 days and getting what seems to be great relief i can think a little more clearly.

i have the folliculitis still . the only thing i can say about my sons condition is that his nose was itchy like mine and runny and i saw a red dot at one point like one that i have on my nose that turns skin color when pressed on.now his is gone.he still has rashes on face he has a skin color rash over hos whole body not sure what .pediatrician says its just dry skin his hair is also dry now after the onset of this.

im going for a hydrogen breath test this week with my g.i.maybe alot of my symptoms are being caused by bacterial overgrowth . i have faith in this dr he schedules follow ups at specific intervals wich make sense and talks straight talk to me .i know if there is an issue with the g.i . he will find it.

ive been to 2 opthamaologists nothing in the eye .

i still have a red scrotum and a numb penis .the numbness gets worse at different times and sometimes gos away like a flare up.my urethra burns when urinating frequently cant empty bladder slow urine flow swollen prostate. not getting much sleep due to frequent urination . i let the drs work on this for 10 yrs but never got any help on it . mostly they just told me yup prostates a little aggravated.so forgive if i get frustrated with them sometimes.i know ultimately the fault is mine the best way to stay healthy is not to take foolish chances and get myself in a position of ill health

Helpful - 0
COMMUNITY LEADER
I don't understand why the doctor said it was eosinophilic folliculitis then to start with or was that a misunderstanding? That can cause a lot of distress. Regular folliculitus is usually caused by a bacterial or fungal infection (see Mayo clinic).
http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/folliculitis/basics/definition/con-20025909

Sometimes it can be caused by ingrowing hairs.

So, we'll see what they say this time.

glad you saw an opthamologist.

I don't know what is causing the  other problems. I am sorry about all this.
I hope they can figure this out.

mkh9
Helpful - 0
the pa-c said it was regular follicullitis ,ther is no cause it sometimes just happens .this makes no sense4 unless it were esinophilic is the only one they dont know why it happens.if it were ingrown hairs i would have to have 4000 of them. maybe thats where i need to go is to the mayo clinic. my vision is becoming very badi cannot read out of my right eye any more . my vision was 20 -15 at the beginning of this.

still awaiting breath test results im going back to the urologist to test for mycoplasma.im not sure what is tested for when they test for gono and chlamydia it seems to me my drs dont communicate they test for the same two things over and over.except my g.i .ive learned more about vitamin d and dosage seems to help i take 2000 i/u 2 times a day. would it be better ? .st johns wort,coconut oil ,multivitamin,licorice root ,ginger root omeprazole,probiotic,green tea.these are my medicines. until i can get some type of answer.
Helpful - 0
COMMUNITY LEADER
Well, with the vitamin D 2000 once a day is good until they check the blood level. You may or may not need more. Everyone is different with that. Yes regular folliculitis is usually caused by a staph. So that other doctor or pa was a jerk to say that it was eosinophilic folliculitis and scare you . I have had that happen too. They are either misdiagnosis or alarmists. Yes normally they don't do the Mycoplasma genitalium and Ureaplasma urealyticum and parvum  but they can cause a problem. The vision problem is a big thing though. If you have access to Mayo clinic it would great to see if they have answers to what is going on with your vision and neurological problems etc.
I wonder if it is a parasite or fungus that you got in the sinus that it up there but then you had a CT scan of the head/brain/sinus area?. It is beyond me at this point. You need to get a real doctor not a PA. I would go to the Mayo Clinic if you can and brink all  your results and make a list of the symptoms you have on here. What you had and you have now. Also your son. And, hopefully they can sort it out. You need to work with a doctor who is really going to take time you.
mkh9
Helpful - 0
thanks mkh9 i know you have tried very hard to help me .i am grateful . i will hold you in my prayers . may god grant you the answers to all your questions.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Infectious Diseases Community