Insomnia - Adult Forum

Insomnia, depression & menopause

I am a 51 yr. old woman in menopause for about 2 years now. It has been 2 years since I had a period. Hot flashes started about 3 yrs. ago during perimenopause. I have about 20 to 30 hot flashes in a 24 hour period. I am a breast cancer survivor and I am also diagnosed manic depressive. I rarely sleep for longer than 2 hours at a time. I may get about 3 hours total in a 24 hour period. I get sleepy and I go to bed, within about 10 or 15 minutes I am wide awake and very restless. I do this all night and finally around 4 or 5 am I fall asleep for about 2 hours. I am constantly tired and fatigued. I have a very difficult time concentrating and have no motivation for anything. I have a Dr. appt on the 27th of this month and I see my Therapist and my Psych this week. I am not taking any meds right now. I went off of them back in September after an intentional overdose and have been using natural supplements with a very healthy diet void of all caffeine and sugar. I have been on so many meds for depression and anxiety over the last 25 years and have become frustrated because nothing seems to work for me. I was ok for about a month or so and now my life is hell. I really have no friends to speak of, I live alone at least 1000 miles from all of my family. My life is miserable. I have been better and know I can be again but I need help. I know my situation is a combination of depression and menopause. But being a breast cancer survivor I think my chance of HRT is slim. Any suggestions?
Since you describe symptoms of depression, that must be managed first. Then you need to discuss your sleep issues with your therapist and psych since they know your history. You should also discuss cognitive behavioral therapy for insomnia with them since it may be helpful to you as an adjunctive treatment to your other primary therapies.

Dr. Jacobs
Healing home remedies for common ailments
Dr. Steven Park reveals 5 reasons why breathing through your nose could change your life
Want to wake up rested and refreshed?