Integrative Fertility Forum

Thyroid issues still or insulin resistance?

I have hypothyroidism and I have also been diagnosed with PCOS using labs and ultrasound on ovaries.  I am still experiencing horrible fatigue and occasional tingling in my hands and feet.  I had thought this was thyroid-related, but now I am wondering about insulin resistance.  I am concerned since I have PCOS as well as relatives with type 2 diabetes.  I asked my doctor about it and he said that my fasting-glucose levels have always been normal (in June it was 81), my non-fasting serum insulin was normal (level was 8), non-fasting c-peptide was normal (level was 2.9), so it isn’t an issue.  I requested the 2hr GTT w/insulin check.  He felt it was a waste of my time to get this test, but gave me the order to get it done anyway.  I did that yesterday.  
1) What would indicate insulin resistance with this test?  I am considering switching doctors because I am not sure if the doc I am seeing is right for me.  
2) Would a reproductive endocrinologist treat both PCOS and hypothyroidism or do they only treat people with issues in trying to get pregnant?  
3) I have heard of many people with PCOS taking Glucophage.  If this is a proper treatment for IR, is the extended release version better than the regular?

Thanks for your help.

Most recent labs:
November (while on .88mcg Synthroid, 10mcg Cytomel, 200mg Prometrium 18days/mo)
Free T4 1.2 (.8-1.8)
Free T3 325 (230-420)
TSH  .22 (.4-4.50)
TPO AB 411

From NIH MEDLINE encyclopedia:

Normal blood values for a 75-gram oral glucose tolerance test used to check for type 2 diabetes:

Fasting: 60 -100 mg/dL
1 hour: less than 200 mg/dL
2 hours: less than 140 mg/dL.
Between 140-200 mg/dL is considered impaired glucose tolerance or pre-diabetes. This group is at increased risk for developing diabetes. Greater than 200 mg/dL is a sign of diabetes mellitus.

Most can treat both.

3) I have heard of many people with PCOS taking Glucophage.  If this is a proper treatment for extended release version better than the regular?

I recommend taking the non-extended release because I think it works better.
You can take 500mg three times a day or the 850mg twice a day.
But first you should check the 2 hour GTT and fasting insulin level to see if you are a candidate to take Metformin (Glucophage).
Many couples are turning to acupuncture to treat infertility. But does it work? We take a closer look.
Does exercise really lower fertility? We take a look at 8 common myths about fertility.
Your guide to safely exercising throughout your 40 weeks.
Learn which foods aren't safe to eat when you're eating for two.
Is your biological clock sounding the alarm? Dr. Elaine Brown explains new advances in egg freezing.