Interstitial Cystitis Community
438 Members

Frequent urination due to over masturbation?

I am a 24yrs old male and  have been masturbating on avg 4 times since last 7-8 years .I started having frequent urination problem since last November.I would urinate anywhere from 10-15 times a day and this would get worse when i would try to sleep . I would urinate with decent amount of urine a  decent flow and before sleeping but i would still feel the need to urinate and would do 5-6 trips to the restroom. After falling asleep , i would get up 2-3 times to pee. I also felt everytime after masturbation , frequency will get even worse with some burning .
I reduced the frequency to avg once a day. I consulted my family practitioner in December  and i was prescribed ciprofloxacin twice a day for 10 days.She also did various STD tests , diabetes and urine test all of which came out -ve along with kidney ultrasound being normal as well .After 10 days , i felt significant improvement but not 100% . As such , i was prescribed levofloxacin for 5 days but levofloxacin seemed to aggravate the problem and i discontinued it after taking it for 2 days. I seemed to do ok for the next 2 months and kept the masturbation frequency to 4-5 times a week .However , the problem did start to creep in again as i think my prostate got irritated again even with reduced masturbation frequency.I consulted  a urologist and he did the digital rectal test and said my prostate seemed ok in size. i was prescribed cirpo again twice a day this time for 3 weeks . My problem again subsided by about 80-85% . However , if i masturbated  2-3 times in a day or masturbated once a day on consecutive days , i would again feel increased frequency and some burning. I told the uro about this correlation of my problems with masturbation but he said there should be no correlation and suggested i go for cystoscopy. I agreed to his suggestion and had cysto done after a few days.  Cystoscopy reveled everything normal other than a moderate stricture far back into the bulb for which the doctor performed dilation. I was prescribed levofloxacin for six days after cycsto. During those six days i suffered with even greater frequency and urgency and urine flow being normal every time i would pee. After stopping levofloacin, i felt my symptoms getting better but again my problem still did not subside 100% . I  kept my frequency of masturbation
3-4 times week and within 3 weeks of cysto , i again started to have frequent urination problem however this time with urine flow usually being normal every time i would pee . I was in the US till now but returned to my home country after 2 wees of having cysto and as such could not consult the same doctor.

I saw a urologist in home country and was prescribed Tamsulosin Hydrochloride  and gatifloxacin for 10 days after the doctor looked  at the report from urine culture and sensitivity test . Gatifloxacin did not help and as such doctor prescribed levofloxacin for another 10 days .None of the two antibiotics and Tamsulosin Hydrochloride did not show any signs of relief . I saw another uro after that and he prescribed moxifloxacin hydrochloride based on that urine culture test along with  tolterodine tartrate for 7 days. I have been taking em for 3 days now and do not see any relief .

I am really worried as my symptoms have only gotten worse after cystoscopy . Should i be worried that doctor did not perform cystoscopy properly and damaged my uretha or bladder? Or have i damaged my prostate with over masturbation. If yes , is there anyway to restore prostate in healthy condition ?
Also , should i try taking cipro again for 10-15 days as it took care of the symptoms at least by 80% on both occasions before cystocopy.

Please suggest what i should do and what the problem might be.

Thank you
I really need to know how far did u reach with this !!! my cystoscope is being planned for the next month !!! AND I HAVE THE EXACT SAME symptoms ure talkin abt and i've been so far treated in the exact same way !!! please reply as soon as u see this or mail me..
***@****.
I did a little research on this and what I found out is it may be in the duration of masturbation.  Masturbation is unlike sex in that there are frequent stops as you peruse porn.  This can cause a buildup of semen.  In the course of sex, there is usually minimum stops except to the end (unless you are changing positions).  I suspect that in masturbation there is a greater buildup in semen causing instability in the urethra which draws from both testicles and bladder.  The urethra is the organ that pushes the semen out during ejaculation.  If the push is delayed it cause pressure buildup in the bladder (like a pipe).  So, my theory is that once the semen is released from testicles, it should be released versus tantric sex which holds the release.  There are also studies that show the over production of semen also could cause instability.  The common point of connection is the urethra.
Hello DoctorMAn, nice to read your info, you are describing same symptoms i have since 5 years, i need to add one more thing, i always smell some bad odor during the so called heated feeling and frequent urination days after masturbation.
How are you now? i hope you well

i have the same symptoms like you and i'd like to know what about you now?

do you still suffer from these symptoms?

thanks
Hi guys.
I hope things are going ok for you. Are you still following this thread? I lived what you are going through and could give you some direction on what to do. Just send back some info on your symptoms and tests you've had done so far.
I hope to here from you.
Hi I have had the feeling of needing to pee all the time for over a month now I have had several bloods urin cultures sti and uti tests  diabetes  Test and a ct scan all come back clear. I don't go to the toilet that much it's just the constant feeling of having to pee. How did you fix the problem please help me
hey dear have you find any solution i have same as you have the problem plz reply
Hi there. I have similar symptoms as the OP. Pain after urinating and frequent. Also poor flow sometimes and general lack of libido (although this could be because symtoms are making me unhappy).

Have had cystoscopy, showed slightly inflamed prostate. Urine test showed white blood cells. Cipro for a month, along with tamsulosin and dutasteride (avodart) made no real difference. Symptoms 90% remained.

This is making my life very miserable. Some days pain lasts for hours after urinating. Any help would be appreciated.

Hey mrb. Im sorry you are going through this. It sounds very similar to what i've been through so I know you probably feel scared and worried right now.
I have a couple questions:
-Have they ruled out prostate, testicular and bladder cancer? Im sure thats what they have done the testing for, but you need the peace of mind.
-Do you have prostate or testicular pain as well as the pain in your bladder?
-Do you have increased pain anywhere during or after sex or masturbation?

A couple of things you should do for starters, keep a journal of your pain and when it increases or decreases and also keep track of how many times a day you go to the bathroom. Have this for your urologist and pcp.

Please know that you aren't alone. You need to rule out everything else to come to an interstitial cystitis diagnosis. Also google chronic pelvic pain syndrome as that usually comes with IC in males.

Let me know if any of this fits your situation and let me know how your doing.

Brian
Could you please post your information for us.
I AM 33 AND HAD THE SAME PROBLEM FOR 3 YEARS. MY DEAR FRIENDS IT IS PROSTATITIS (IN MY CASE THE BACTERIAL FORM) LIKE IN MOST CASES ALL FORMS ARE BACTERIAL HOWEVER ******* UROLOGIST DONT ACTUALLY OBTAIN A PROSTATE MESSAGE SAMPLE. I WOULD ALSO LIKE TO SAY THAT I HAVE A MEDICAL BACKROUND AND  HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING FOR PROSTATITIS. I WOULD LIKE TO ASK YOU IF YOU GUYS SUFFER FROM DISC HERNIATIONS, STRESS, OR PERHAPS A PELVIC TENSION PROBLEM. THE REASON THAT I SAY THIS IS BECAUSE FROM MY RESEARCH AND MYSELF I NOW SEE THAT PROSTATITIS ISNT JUST A ONE FACTOR PROBLEM ITS A COMBINATION OF MORE THAN ONE FACTOR. LIKE IN MY CASE I AM A REGULAR MASTERBATOR AND HAVE SEX WITH MY WIFE. I HAVE THE URINARY FREQUENCY THAT DRIVES ME MAD. BUT ON THE DAYS I TAKE IT A BIT EASIER IT GETS BETTER THAN GETS WORSE. BUT I THINK WE ALL DEVELOPED ANXIETY DUE TO THIS CONDITION AND I THINK WE SHOULD STRONGLY ADDRESS THAT ISSUE. I AM NOT SAYING PROZAC BUT I AM SAYING NATURAL HERBAL REMEDIES LIKE VALERIAL ROOT, (WHICH WILL HELP YOU SLEEP, AND RELAX SMOOTH MUSCLE) SAW PALMETTO THAT I THINK HELPS A BIT OR NOT AND 25 MG OF ZINC PICONOLITE MAY BE OF SOME HELP. I ALSO TAKE 50 MG O NITROFURANTOIN AT NIGHT BUT WHEN THE BODY RELAXES FROM THE VALERIAN (COMES IN KALMS FORM) YOU WILL BE ABLE TO SLEEP BETTER. SLEEP ALSO AIDS IN THE REDUCTION OF INFLAMMATION. HOPE I HELPED, IT IS A HORRIBLE DISEASE BUT TRY TO FIGHT WITH IT AND NOT GIVE UP !
I'm just going to add to the list of guys with this same condition. I'm 36 and have been through this on and off for a year. I disagree with the op's uro's initial comment that excessive sex or masturbation won't cause this. In my case, these symptoms are directly tied to the frequency of orgasms that I have. One a day is fine. Two a day is OK two but I start to notice mild symptoms. More than that I get the urgency and sometimes even a little burning at the tip of my penis. Prostate checked out fine - but didn't have it checked until after a pointless long round of Ciproflaxin for suspected prostatitis infection. And yes, worrying and stress will make my condition worse once I get into it. Slow down sex or masturbation for a few days and it's A OK. The last poster is right that there is a pelvic inflammatory condition that is often misdiagnosed as bacterial prostatitis according to my doc. Proctologists are a little more familiar with this when it starts to affect their area of specialty.

My doc made three suggestions for what initiates the problem.

1) During sex or masturbation, particularly long sessions where orgasm is not reached relatively quickly, the urinary sphincter stays contracted for a long time (so you can't urinate). This excessive period of contraction does to that muscle what it would do to any muscle but of course it doesn't feel the same as what you get when you burn out your bicep since nerves in your groin are associated with feelings of urinary need and ejaculative contractions etc. So you don't exactly feel the burn but you do feel something.

2) Long term contraction and engorgement of muscle and tissue in the pelvic area as is associated with a lot of sexual activity might directly cause nerve inflammation leading to these symptoms.

3) A slight increase in the size of the prostate as is natural and common with aging might cause some impingement on the pudendal nerve.  A lot of sexual activity which naturally causes the prostate to swell and fill with fluid, and particular long sessions would aggravate this even more.

At any rate, my uro made it quite clear that we are NOT designed to have sex maybe as often as we think. The worst scenarios of this nature that he encounters is guys who spend long masturbation sessions looking at internet porn - 1 to 2 hours before an ejaculation, in an excited state clicking through pictures and videos and making it last. No woman wants a guy to get off too quickly, but it's not physically supposed to take 2 hours either. Those guys get these symptoms worse than all of us.  
Hi Dmark - I am guessing, I have the same issue. I am single and at times used to masturbate using porn as you mentioned. But my frequency was like 2 times a week or so...My doctor has put me on flomax for the last 1 year. Initially it was bad 15 times urination. But then later with the meds and Yoga and Breathing exercises things have improved. then now came down to 5-6 times. Though there are days that it gets flaired up. Is there a proper cure for this?? I have stopped masturbation from the last 9 months+...and only have night falls. but as some people said...i see an issue after night fall. more sensitivity after that...
Is there a proper cure??
Should I ask my doctor about any Pelvic Floor Muscle spasm or weakness? can that be another cause as ipurr2 mentioned below?? Please help if you are reading this
I am one of those guys that watched porn and masturbated for 2 hours.  I now have this issue.  What did your urologist suggest that you do? Kegals? I already am refraining from the long masturbation sessions. I have actually gone cold turkey.  If you are still on here I would really appreciate some help.  This constant feeling of having to urinate is awful!!!
you have most likely caused the pelvic floor muscles to go into spasms if you do not have an actual infection or interstitial cystitis...I would suggest putting heated rice packs on your low abdomen (by hip bones) and icing the burning areas down to soothe...also you might want to try pyridium/uristate...if it's just an irritation of the bladder wall lining this will calm it down and it is over the counter now...I would also chill out on the masturbation...because this causes the muscles of the pelvic floor to contract and this could be pelvic floor dysfunction so figure out ways to relax the pelvic floor not make it contract and see how you feel...Kegals would be the exact opposite of what you want if it is pfd...it's all about relaxing  not contracting the muscles of the pf...elevating the knees higher then the hips will force the pelvic floor to relax so try doing that 15 min or so a day or when it's really flaring...see if that helps...good luck...also if you haven't seen your dr. you should to rule out any infections or anything serious...if you take antibiotics take a probiotic a couple hours later because the antibiotics kill the good as well as the bad bacteria in there so this will need to be replaced because that too can cause the spasms in the pf...Hope you can get things calmed down...
Thanks for the reply.  I have gone to a urologist and am going back on Monday.  He ruled out UTI, and he checked my prostate twice, saying it was a little enlarged but nothing to be overly concerned about.  He did put me on a medication to help that but it didn't do much.  Then the second time he wanted to rule out the prostatitis and he said it wasn't that so he treated it as overactive bladder and gave me another med which also wasn't much help.  I'm going to ask him about the pelvic floor thing.  In the last month I only ejacluated twice and through normal avg time sex.  I eliminated masturbation.  Do you think reverse kegals would help?  I will try the knees over the hips thing.  Anything else you can think of would be most appreciated.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.