Interstitial Cystitis Community
440 Members

Kidney Infection or Kidney Stones?

Recently I went to my local ER with bad pains in my lower back and around my ribs. I told them my family has extensive histories of bladder/kidney issues (my aunt died as a child due to kidney failure, for example). After they did a simple urinalysis, I was given some antibiotics and sent on my way.

Now, 3 days later, I find my symptoms are not even beginning to improve. I'm having to strain when I urinate, and throughout the entire time, but I feel like I'm not emptying my bladder. The pain in my back has gotten so bad that I halfway limp when I walk. I feel very weak, my appetite has gone to nearly zero, and my temperature has steadily been going up throughout the evening. I'm not sure what to do, please advise...
You need to be seen by a doctor ASAP!! The antibiotics don't sound like they are working if things aren't getting better. You could have an obstruction or an infection in the kidney. I was quite close to dying from kidney failure when I was given the wrong antibiotics to take. This is nothing to mess around with. Please go to the ER, see a urologist, GP or urgent care.
I had something similar a few years ago.  I felt very sluggish and miserable.  Then my temperature started elevating and I took Cipro.  Everything would improve, but time I quit taking cipro, my temperature would elevate to around 101º.  When I went to my urologist, he found a stone lodged in my ureter blocking flow into my bladder.  I had lithotripsy the next morning which remedied the problem.

Good luck.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.