Interstitial Cystitis Community
442 Members

some uti symptoms without infection

I need help figuring out what is wrong with me - I am a 19 year old female with no history of bladder infections or problems with urination. One evening I suddenly got pains in my lower back, legs and pelvic area -these symptoms came on within half an hour. They were not very severe although I did need to take some ibuprofen to get to sleep. The next day most of this pain has gone and has not really come back since, I could only feel slight pain in genital/pelvic area. I went to the doctor's this day and they took a urine sample, thinking that I had possibly developed a urinary infection. No infection was found but I was still given a 3 day course of antibiotics because of the lower abdominal pain and slight pressure on the left side. The day after this I noticed that I needed to go to the toilet a lot quicker than I usually would- I can normally wait 4 hours before feeling the need to go. I was drinking more water to get rid of a supposed infection so that may have increased the frequency. However, the antibiotics did not work. I still had to urinate soon after drinking anything and my bladder even hurt one morning. I was put on a different 7 day antibiotic 2 days ago by another doctor who said I will need to have blood tests to see what is irritating my bladder. I am drinking normal amounts and yet my bladder always feels full, even after I have gone to the toilet there is still slight pressure in my bladder. Today I can still feel the slight pressure and I also have a back pains and pains in my legs and thighs. At no point has it hurt to urinate- there is no blood in my urine either and I do not have constipation and only get it rarely.

What could have caused these symptoms to come on so quickly and out of the blue? I have no STD's, a healthy diet and I doubt that any anxiety or long-term disorder could have caused these symptoms literally overnight.
HI,
After a 7 day course of antibiotics, urinary infection if any will be taken care of. However if the symptoms persist then the best way to know whether there is any infection is urine culture. Frequency or urination can be increased due to cold weather, drinking excess of water and also due to stress. Pelvic or lower abdominal pain and pressure can also be due to pelvic infection, gas and bloating, colitis etc. You need to check out with your Doctor.
The answer is based on information provided. Exact advice is not possible without a proper examination and investigations. You are requested to consult your Doctor. Take care and keep us posted.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.